123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie - Dumb Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walt449

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Newbie - Dumb Question Reply with quote

How can I read what's on an external HDD that was previously used on a PC?

I would like to use it for Time Machine.

I know I can cheat and boot my PC to read it, but I'd like to fly solo with the MINI and can't figure out where in the 'system preferences' or 'finder' I would read it.

Thanks
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to reformat the PC drive for a Mac to use the drive for a Time Machine backup.

Type Disk Utility (into Spotlight).

Erase

Select OS X Extended Journaled

Under options select GUID

then proceed to format the drive
(be warned: anything that is on this drive will be erased)

Then under time machine preferences you can designate that drive as your backup.

p.s. you may be able to do this formatting through time machine preferences as indicated below, but I've never done this.

-----

From Apple:

Note: Every available drive that can be used to store backups is listed. If youíve partitioned a drive, the available partitions are listed. Time Machine canít backup to an external drive that's connected to an AirPort Extreme, Time Capsule, or a drive formatted for Microsoft Windows (NTFS or FAT format). If you select an NTFS or FAT-formatted drive, Time Machine prompts you to reformat the drive. Choose a different drive or reformat the drive in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Because reformatting erases any files on the drive, only do this if you no longer need the files or if you have copies of them on a different drive.

The most common format for a Time Machine backup drive is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format, but Time Machine also supports Mac OS Extended (Case sensitive, Journaled) and XSan formats.

If the drive is partitioned using the Master Boot Record (MBR) partition type, some partitions may not be available for use with Time Machine. The GUID Partition Table (GPT) or Apple Partition Map (APM) partition types are recommended.
Walt449

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Ext HDD back-up Reply with quote

Wonderful! Thank-you so much
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Time Machine canít backup to an external drive that's connected to an AirPort Extreme

Help me out here, if what you mention above is true does that mean that the info at, lets say this link is bunk?
Curious minds just gotta know.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1132613/airporttime.html
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
Time Machine canít backup to an external drive that's connected to an AirPort Extreme

Help me out here, if what you mention above is true does that mean that the info at, lets say this link is bunk?
Curious minds just gotta know.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1132613/airporttime.html

I posted Info directly from Apple's support pages. Perhaps you can turn an Extreme into a Time Capsule, but Apple may not support it. I haven't tried it myself.

Note that the Macworld link is dated 2008, I'd be concerned. The airport extreme has been updated since that artical was written.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first post mentions an Airport "Extreme" which I have and use the external disk for TM.
Your second post refers to the Airport Express, which I've had no experience with and cannot comment on.
Are you comparing Apples & Oranges here?
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just took a look at the Apple support and I can see where you're coming from.
I am using a first generation Airport extreme and originally took advantage of the Apple update mentioned in the article I linked to.
Makes me glad I'm not in the habit of jumping on all of the updates Apple pushes out, or I might just have broke a good working system.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Apple is now purposely limiting the Airport Extreme to avoid cannibalizing Time Capsule sales. Not surprising, but it sure sucks.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, it does suck, but I'm not surprised.
It amazes me how quickly Apple is becoming the dreaded "big brother" it was rallying against in the now famous "1984" commercial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: