123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I think Google missed the point

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: I think Google missed the point Reply with quote

So Google officially announced the Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus Q Android devices. I was waiting for this, lots of power for $200 on the Nexus 7, then I looked at the specs, no microSDHC slot at all Mad . Well surely they didn;t make such a mistake on the Galaxy Nexus, oh wait, 16GB storage and no microSDHC slot, and the Nexus Q (which is kind of a powerful Apple TV) costs $299! I think Google just missed out on a lot of sales with this, I'm planning on dropping iDevices in the future for Android, just much more in terms of possibilities with such devices especially as ARM is entering the mainstream more and more and not just in phones, but this makes me think Google doesn't have the same kind of vision that I'm having.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Texark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An SD slot, HDMI out and rear 5MP camera would have thrown it over the edge. It's still a formidable tablet for $200 though. I also think that Jelly Bean looks awesome. I just might pick one up as an iPod touch replacement.

I agree that they missed the boat with Nexus Q. I do appreciate their efforts for building it in the United States though.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Google might have hit the nail right on the head. You build and/or offer a nice affordable tablet with decent specs that will always have the latest version of Android running on it. Something on the lines of an eReader or the Kindle Fire without the need of slide-loading apps to be more user friendly and open. You also try to stay away from competing with the iPad in the 10-inch space.

I mean, do you really need an SD slot with everything moving to the cloud anyways? My wife has a Kindle Fire and basically stores everything on Amazon. She's only using like 5GB on the thing. I also have very little stored on our original iPad other than apps.

I also happen to think that Asus will release a similar tablet with the features (SD slot and HDMI) you are looking for. They will probably sell it for like $50 more than the Nexus 7. Would you buy that one instead?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you do need a SD slot with the cloud. How do you connect to the cloud if you have no signal? Why stream when you can have the data on you?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I think Google might have hit the nail right on the head. You build and/or offer a nice affordable tablet with decent specs that will always have the latest version of Android running on it. Something on the lines of an eReader or the Kindle Fire without the need of slide-loading apps to be more user friendly and open. You also try to stay away from competing with the iPad in the 10-inch space.

I mean, do you really need an SD slot with everything moving to the cloud anyways? My wife has a Kindle Fire and basically stores everything on Amazon. She's only using like 5GB on the thing. I also have very little stored on our original iPad other than apps.

I also happen to think that Asus will release a similar tablet with the features (SD slot and HDMI) you are looking for. They will probably sell it for like $50 more than the Nexus 7. Would you buy that one instead?

Smithcraft wrote:
Yes, you do need a SD slot with the cloud. How do you connect to the cloud if you have no signal? Why stream when you can have the data on you?

SC

One of the biggest complaints in story comments seems to be the lack of SD card in the absence of mobile data.

If an ASUS version with HDMI and SD (preferably XC) slot and a USB host port (either full size or through an adapter to the micro USB) was released I would definitely buy one. If I need to transfer files to someone somehow the most effective method without giving them too much access or complex set ups is still external storage, especially cross platform (desktop to tablet). I also would make use of the HDMI out when traveling to a friends house as I often end up taking my laptop to watch movies or some TV shows.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Google will come out with the next version with some of those missing specs and charge around the same price range.

Similar to how Apple does!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: