123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Airport Extreme Base Station better range? and.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: New Airport Extreme Base Station better range? and..... Reply with quote

Does the new AEBS have better range than the last model? I mean by quite a bit, because if it's just barely its not gonna help. Also if I buy a new one will it be plug and play? Will all my wireless setting be the untouched or do I have to redo the entire setup? Thanks.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the new models have much better range, particularly in the 5 GHz band.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4577/airport-extreme-5th-gen-and-time-capsule-4th-gen-review-faster-wifi-/1

Yes you will need to redo the entire setup. These are the easiest routers on the planet to configure. A basic setup doesn't require much more than entering a network name and password.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill. I am actually considering upgrading my express base station now. I am thinking then I can use the older one as an extension. Not sure though. My signal isn't solid on my deck and that's where I want it bad now that summer is here to control my music. Plus sometimes I stream radio stations. So the extreme has to make it to the device then that has to beam back to the express for airplay.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confident that you will be happy with the new Extreme. You likely won't need to use the old one as an extension and I advise against it if it is not needed. Adding repeaters into your network will slow your network down. Only use the if absolutely necessary.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice and only complicates setup even further. Plus a new extreme all my other devices would benefit not just AirTunes.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a warning if you use comcast and have there digital voice service have them use the digital voice modem as your internet modem as well because a external modem from comcast causes major headaches with the new airport so be far warned
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
just a warning if you use comcast and have there digital voice service have them use the digital voice modem as your internet modem as well because a external modem from comcast causes major headaches with the new airport so be far warned

Thanks for the tip. I currently have slower dsl. Which keeps cutting out this year badly. My wireless seems to be rock solid except for when I come out of sleep my iTunes can't connect to my base station for AirTunes. Not always but it happens even to bug me.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So its been a few months and I'm considering a new AE. Just wondering what thoughts are on it from those who have used it or what the issue is with Comcast modems. I have Comcast and own the modem. I searched, but didn't see anything online about specific issues regarding Comcast modems and the new AE.
I think my current AE is a second gen. Whatever it is, I could use more range and speed and the ability to consistently support multiple devices. I think a lot of the issues I'm having with the current one is due to interference. I live in a condo and at any time, I see between 15 and 30 other networks in the area. I've tweaked the settings, but with minimal luck.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
I live in a condo and at any time, I see between 15 and 30 other networks in the area. I've tweaked the settings, but with minimal luck.

I live in a similar type situation. It finally came down to finding and using a wireless channel that wasn't being used. By default, most people keep their modems on the same channel. I changed mine to like 150 something for 802.11n devices cause it was open and not being used. You can achieve this by using the built-in Wi-Fi scanner tool in ML or Mavericks to scan your area. It's also a good idea for 802.11g devices, cause most people keep their channel on like the default 11.

BTW. I have one the new ones and the range is great. Much better than the flat AirPort Extreme I had before this one. It's also dual-band. Is your model now a dual-band model? Some of the earlier models weren't.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: