123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you take a lot of large photos, how do you store them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: If you take a lot of large photos, how do you store them? Reply with quote

I am not a professional photographer by any means, just an amateur who is getting more involved in the hobby. I kind of went from taking jpegs and uploading them to Facebook or Photobucket, to taking RAW photos, editing them, and needing a way to archive them.

My question is kind of two fold. First, what do you do in the field? I am thinking more along the lines of on a vacation, or party, or something similar where a lot of photos may be taken. I have a few 16gb SD cards, but even those fill up quickly and I have a hard time justifying buying more. There are hard drives made specifically for this purpose, where the SD card can be inserted into the drive, and the photos transferred without a computer. But these are expensive, the reviews on most I have seen are mixed, and their use is so limited. Without being a professional photographer who would use the device on a constant basis, I have a hard time justifying buying one. Besides, without having another device, there is no backup of this, and if this device fails, the photos on it are lost. I often take a laptop with me into the field, so computer access shouldn't be an issue. The only issue may be a power source depending on where I am and what I'm doing.

Then the question is what do you do at home for 'permanent' archival? I think this one is a bit easier to answer in the form of a large Raid 1 drive. If secure permanent storage is required, an offsite backup is also a good option.

I think I have answered these questions myself and do have devices in mind for both field and home use, but am curious what others are doing. I don't want to taint opinions, so I won't say what devices I am thinking about, but will in a few days if this gets any responses.

Thank You!!!
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a professional photographer either. I can share my work flow though.

I use an older Canon Rebel as my main camera. Take the pictures and dump them to my Mac mini. Edit the pictures and work with them in Aperture. The folders they are in back up to a 2TB Seagate drive through FireWire 800, which is pretty fast. My favorite and family pictures also back up to Dropbox (I have been trying with some of the other services though). I'm a strong believer in offsite storage for family pictures. In case of a fire or catastrophic event. You certainly don't want to lose them. And that's really about it.

I'm not sure how that would change in the field. I'm thinking lots of SD cards though. Then perhaps dump them to a MacBook Air or Pro and a portable FireWire 800 drive. It would be sort of the same process from there.

Another option would be to also archive your pictures on DVD.

I hope that helps in sharing. But like I said before, I'm not a professional photographer.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use aperture i am trained as a professional black and white photographer and i can tell you the best and quickest way if using aperture or even iPhoto is have it on a external drive keeping your library files on a external keeps your machines hard drive from slowing down and reads and writes faster to the external when you need to save i fully recommend a external now if you want to go hard core and i mean hard core you can buy a nas drive 4 tb at 250.00 and use it as well it does speed it up to super speed but saving times are not fast at all
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to setup your external from a professionals point of view:

1. Create these folders on your hard drive.

1. Originals (direct downloaded images from your camera go here)

2. Edited (duplicate the originals and place them in this folder for editing)

3. Negatives (handy for scanned or restoring images)

4. IPhoto (this is where your iPhoto library will go)

5. Aperture (this is where your aperture library will go)

6. Photoshop (this folder doesnt store a library but photoshop project files if you use photoshop)

7. PixelMator (this folder only if you use pixelmator)

Selecting a external:

Remember these key words:

If you can afford a 4 tb buy a 4 tb if you can only purchase a 1 tb buy the 1 tb doesn't matter if you use the whole drive or not the reason for this is simple it gives you tons of space to add and remove items at a later date and time.

And thats it's
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Leica Reply with quote

I use to be a Professional Photographer
but I'm now retired/disabled. My current
camera is a Leica M9-P with several lenses.
I use several different RAW STEEL SD cards
and dump the images onto my Macbook Air.
I don't erase the SD cards till the Air is backed
up to several different external hard drives.
I like Lightroom 4 especially since it has
native lens corrections for my Leica lenses.

Used Photoshop in the past but don't have any
need to alter an image at the pixel level. Haven't
tried Aperture but had been tempted, since it
doesn't contain lens corrections for my lenses
I'll continue to pass. When I on very rare occasion
need to perform Photoshop quality adjustments
I use GIMP (a free App.).

Download "Picasa" from Google. Its a FREE photo
App. similar (sort of) to Lightroom. It will keep track
of anything on your Mac that'll pass for an image.
It plays well with other photo App's. I use it as an
Image Sorter and a backup for Lightroom.

Definitely download "Picasa" from Google and
give it a try. Since your not a Pro you may
not need any other Photo App.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC

Last edited by billb on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me:

Several SD cards, 16+ GB, transfer to my MBP via a FW800 card reader. Hard to get around having a dozen of these for my purposes. As with Bilb, I don't erase these until I've got them in my MBP (which I use primarily as a surge area) and then redundant to 2 x 12TB RAID systems, one which is kept at home an the other off-site.

Work flow is generally in Aperture for quick and dirty looking, fiddling and potential trashing then to Photoshop when I actually want to do anything intensive. I like Lightroom but for what my pre work purposes are I've just grown more attached to Aperture. Again as Bilb mentions there are things within LR that may be pretty attractive to people.

I wouldn't focus too much on what some say "professionals" do as far as creating specific folders, make the judgement yourself how you want them organized. Your flow is your flow.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
LeChuck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 8GB cards. Larger cards are an unnecessary risk, should the cards become corrupted.

I shoot RAW and JPG. I download from the camera to the computer and put all images from a shoot in a folder that is dated, for example, "2012.07.26 - client's name or location." I keep RAW, JPG, edited PSD and scaled-for Web use JPG versions in the same folder. I may create a subfolder for a client, which contains edited and scaled/sized versions.

The dated folder goes into another folder which is named "photography - 2012." Basically I have a main photo folder for every year, each with a large number of dated sub-folders.

I back up all folders on two external hard drives and on DVD. Every three years I copy and burn the DVDs again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: