123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's the most exciting company in Tech?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's the most exciting company in Tech 2012?
Apple
48%
 48%  [ 12 ]
Amazon
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Google
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Facebook
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Microsoft
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Samsung
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
HP
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 25

scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Who's the most exciting company in Tech? Reply with quote

I was just wondering who you guys thought was the most exciting company in tech these days? I'm sort of leaning towards Google at the moment. Apple probably a strong second and Microsoft third (the dinosaur actually appears to be waking up). Then others like Samsung, Facebook and Amazon probably round out the field. Well, at least in my book.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to pick an oddball company that makes Apple accessories.
www.twelvesouth.com

Everything they make is very innovative, original and well made. Truly a cool company.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give props to Google, but I still think Apple is the most exciting tech company. They definitely set most of the design trends.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Facebook. I detest that company.

As far as being the most exciting, my vote goes to Apple. I think that Microsoft is on the comeback trail though. They have been making some nice product announcements of late. I've also become a big fan of their SkyDrive service. I also think that Samsung is making a lot of nice products. Even though they take a lot of heat for "copying" Apple. One surprise for me in the tech space is the disappearance of Sony. They don't nearly seem as relevant these days.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple - IMO, nothing exciting from Apple this year. Mostly evolutionary updates to existing items. What's up with the MacPro?

Amazon - Maybe, but I don't consider an eTailer to be a tech company.

Google - Perhaps, but with the really bad uniform privacy policy, all that I can recall that they did this year was update Android, which most new devices won't ship with, and come out with three devices which are mostly evolutionary to their existing products.

Facebook - This is a joke entry right?

Microsoft - MS looks to be getting some things right, IMO, this year. However, telling their partners to GTFO isn't a smart thing to do in my book.

Samsung - They make some great tech, but I'm not sure they are really exciting to me.

HP - Huh?

I'm almost looking at voting for MS! Shocked

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC. Some people are actually saying it's a four way race between Apple, Amazon, Google and Facebook. I don't get the latter, but they do produce apps and stuff. Amazon actually makes hardware, software, cloud products, storage products and more. So I would definitely consider them a tech company beyond just being an online retailer.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/schmidt-calls-tech-a-4-way-race-google-apple-amazon-and-facebook/8410

As for HP. I think they are really just filler for the poll. Laughing
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook, nah seems like old stuff, I still hate timeline and find myself using it less and less.

Amazon? Tech company? I don't see them, i don't buy much from them anyway

Microsoft? So 1990s or 80s. Can't think of the last exciting thing from them. Zune? Nevermind. I dislike MS Office on my Mac and my staff that use Office 2010 hate it even worse.

Samsung? Nothing exciting that they created, TVs? Monitors? Nothing screams I'm unique.

Google? I'd put them near the top but alas I don't use anything from Google anymore so I can't say I'd vote them #1.

Let see who changed the phone world? Who changed the tablet market? Who changed the Music Market? Nuff said, Apple still #1 for the time being, not saying they are perfect but they create unique things and they know how to market them.
Texark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
Let see who changed the phone world? Who changed the tablet market? Who changed the Music Market? Nuff said, Apple still #1 for the time being, not saying they are perfect but they create unique things and they know how to market them.

+1

Yeah, they are still defining or influencing almost every category in tech.

I think Microsoft is starting to make a nice comeback. Windows 8 will be make or break though.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is 'in 2012' not overall.

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple. I think they will finish the year with a 7" iPad and something on the TV front, so it will be a more exciting ending too.
iLife's a Bitch!
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I don't think Apple has done much exciting this year. I guess there's lots of time left though. But either way, they still get my vote. I have very little interest in any of the other companies mentioned. Most of them just follow Apple's lead. They certainly aren't first movers or innovators.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point SC.

From the average news sites I read Apple had the coverage for the roll out of the new iPad and even the changes coming to IOS and the Mac. Even my local paper covered it, I can't say I saw the same coverage for Microsoft. While Apple may not be doing anything brand spanking new they know how to keep in the Media. Part of that is the Jobs legacy which while wane over time.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinshaw wrote:
To be honest, I don't think Apple has done much exciting this year..

I thought bringing out a retina display tablet, retina display laptop and 1080P into the the living room for $99 made for an exciting start to the year.

This isn't directed at you personally Dinshaw, but I wonder what it would take to excite people?

To me faster processors etc. aren't all that exciting, but I benefit from my retina display each an everytime I use my iPad. many companies focus on adding elements that 99% of people won't use to look as though they are offering more, but then fall short when it comes to the overall experience, Apple delivers.

Personally I think if Apple coasts through the rest of the year without doing anything else, they have already had a great year. I'd love to see a Retina display MacBook Airs and iMacs, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What keeps me from being excited about Apple is their Walled Garden approach.

Imagine if you will, how would people feel, if when buying a Sony radio, they could only listen to music sold by Sony?

While Apple isn't that restrictive, I feel that's the way they want to go. Apple wants to completely control the distribution of software and media for it's devices. Until that ends, Apple won't be exciting for me.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
What keeps me from being excited about Apple is their Walled Garden approach.

Imagine if you will, how would people feel, if when buying a Sony radio, they could only listen to music sold by Sony?

While Apple isn't that restrictive, I feel that's the way they want to go. Apple wants to completely control the distribution of software and media for it's devices. Until that ends, Apple won't be exciting for me.

SC

As you know, for those who truly need or want more, it only takes minutes to jailbreak iOS devices. All OS X devices can run Windows. Seasoned users can run Terminal, view hidden files etc.

I've personally never felt restricted by owning Apple products, I feel like I can do more. I get to do everything "within the walled garden" AND I can stray outside if I wish.

To have one company that can offer me (and support) an entire network of safe and secure hardware that communicate effectively with one another along with access to safe and secure software is awesome.

Some people don't agree with the model, but most people like it. This is the key to Apple's success. People want the whole package, they only want to deal with one company when it comes to issues, billing, support etc. I see it every day in retail. Even with services people prefer to deal with one company ie. phone, internet, television, the only time they stray is if the company screws them around. Apple tends to work hard to keep the relationship going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: