123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacBook Pro with Retina Display Review Roundup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: MacBook Pro with Retina Display Review Roundup Reply with quote

MacBook Pro with Retina Display Review Roundup
Friday, June 15, 2012
Posted by: Staff

We like to do a roundup of reviews for every major Apple hardware release, so here's one for the new 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display. It includes reviews from Macworld, Engadget, The Verge, CNET, The New York Times, USA Today, Time, Slashgear, PC Magazine and Laptop Magazine. Down below, you'll find excerpts and links to each review. You'll also find two excellent video reviews from The Verge and CNET.

Macworld - "With the Retina MacBook Pro, Apple once again proves it is a company that refuses to sit still and get comfortable. It redefined the ultraportable laptop with the MacBook Air, and has now altered the concept of the pro laptop. Going lighter and smaller was expected, given how Apple does things, but the change in feature set will have current MacBook Pro owners reexamining their needs," writes Roman Loyola.

Engadget – "Is this the best Mac ever? You can't ignore the Air as an amazing piece of machinery, especially with the new, higher-powered Ivy Bridge processors and faster SSDs tucked inside its wedge profile. But, this new Pro is on another level of performance. With a quad-core processor and up to 16GB of RAM it's a proper beast -- a proper beast that you can throw in your messenger bag and carry around all day without spending all night complaining about an aching back," writes Tim Stevens.

The Verge – "If you're in the market for a premium OS X laptop right now, it's hard not to recommend the new MacBook Pro with Retina display. If, however, power isn’t your ultimate goal, may we suggest shaving a few pounds and specs for the MacBook Air. As for everything in between, those non-Retina standard MacBook Pros, well... the writing's on the wall. And of course, it doesn’t hurt to be even a little bit patient and wait for more apps to push Retina-optimized updates - if you get the MacBook Pro with Retina display now, you'll be waiting on the world to change," writes Ross Miller.

CNET – "I've previously called the 15-inch MacBook Pro one of the most universally useful all-around laptops you can buy. This new version adds to that with HDMI, faster ports, and more portability. But it also subtracts from that with its exclusion of an optical drive and Ethernet port, plus its very high starting price. The Pro and Retina Pro are clearly two laptops designed for two different users, and with the exception of all-day commuters who need something closer to a MacBook Air or ultrabook, one of the two branches of the MacBook Pro family tree is still probably the most universally useful laptop you can buy," writes Dan Ackerman.

The New York Times - "How does the new laptop fare on the Ultimate Laptop Wish List? Extremely well. It tops the charts on screen, keyboard, sound, start-up time, looks, battery life and fast/thin/light. It can have copious memory (up to 16 gigabytes) and storage, for a handsome fee," writes David Pogue.

USA Today - "Not everyone needs or can afford the new MacBook Pro. But I wouldn't blame anybody who fancies one," writes Edward C. Baig.

Time - "Even for those of us who are unlikely to spend more than two grand on a computer, or who prefer something more ultraportable than a 15" model, the arrival of the Retina MacBook Pro is a meaningful moment in Mac history. It's the most refined, advanced PC that Apple has produced to date. And it's a safe bet that the ideas it exhibits will be reflected in future models from the company, including ones with smaller screens and smaller price tags. It's both a great computer, and a preview of great computers to come," writes Harry McCracken.

Slashgear - "In the end, though the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display is more than just the sum of its screen, the inescapable truth is that any other notebook feels dreary and last-gen in comparison. Just as switching from Retina on a new iPad to another tablet feels like stepping back in time, so the new MacBook Pro's display feels like what computing really should be. Priced at the top end of the market it may be, but for multimedia professionals, developers and those that covet the cutting-edge, the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display is the new gold standard," writes Vincent Nguyen.

PC Magazine - "With a higher-resolution display, thin chassis, and up-to-date components, the Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch with Retina Display is the new king of high-end desktop replacement laptops," writes Joel Santo Domingo.

Laptop Magazine - "Surveying the Ultrabook landscape, there's nothing that approaches the new MacBook Pro's combination of power, portability and endurance. And it's easy to see why Apple has nixed the 17-inch MB Pro. With a screen like this, you just don't need the extra inches of real estate. Overall, the MacBook Pro with Retina Display is the ultimate notebook for performance fiends on the move," writes Mark Spoonauer.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1844.html
castaway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that it's expensive for what you get, but I cannot afford one. I would absolutely love to own one though. It sounds like an absolute brilliant machine.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played around with it at the Apple Store the other day and it really is an amazing machine. I still think it's to big and heavy though - sure, for a 15" laptop the weight is perfect; however, I'm happy with 11" and 13" systems.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
I played around with it at the Apple Store the other day and it really is an amazing machine. I still think it's to big and heavy though - sure, for a 15" laptop the weight is perfect; however, I'm happy with 11" and 13" systems.

A lot of people prefer the size and weight of the air, but pros rarely purchase 13" laptops, so pros are typically thrilled at the new size and weight. The initial reactions of customers in my Apple reseller store has been very positive on the new rMBP. What hasn't been positive is they are out of stock everywhere. Not too many people want to part with $2200+ and then wait a month or more to receive their laptops, so most people are holding off on purchasing them through retail.
We may get into a situation where it will take a number of months before you can just walk into a store and buy one.
Custom orders are still selling well, because people understand that they would need to wait regardless of supply.

Regarding the product, I think it is amazing. It's an awesome looking display and the body of the unit looks good and feels rock solid.
Most people will still be better served by an Air though.

The display really makes me want to see an upgraded iMac. People on forums have expressed that the current iMacs are already near retina quality. This is bs. They have a long way to go to catch up to the new rMBP iPad iPhone Touch.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would rather have the 13" MacBook Air with a retina display. I prefer the form factor and the screen panel without the glass up front.

I think the 15" model is gorgeous though. But as mentioned before, it feels rather heavy. I'm not sure that it's something that I would want to lug around all the time.

I would also be interested in a retina-based iMac if they can drastically, and I mean drastically, cut down on the glare. I still find those reflections to be so distracting.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Air with a 13" retina display will become Apple's all time best selling laptop. The 13" Pro already is. More and more people are choosing the Air each day as it is, with a retina display, more affordable SSDs and lower memory prices, it will be a hot seller.

With the new 15" retina display, the fonts look incredible both in the lower and higher resolution settings. In the past blowing them up, made them look fuzzy... Making them smaller made them difficult to read. Not anymore. It's something you will need to see for yourself, to appreciate what I'm referring to. It's especially apparent if you have a non retina display next to it to compare the difference.

All this being said, lots of people have bad eyes. I've had many people say they could not see difference between the iPad 2 and new iPad retina display. Most of these people wear glasses and likely need their eyes checked again. I can read the bottom line on any eye chart and I have no issues with reading up close. As far as I know my eyes are excellent. I very much appreciate retina displays and to me the distinction is quite apparent.

I'm not a pro photographer, but I can say photos look much nicer as well... skin tones appear more natural as the image just looks clearer. I've compared the exact same photos on both the retina and non retina 15" MBP simultaneously side by side.

If you haven't already seen this new retina display laptop, I suggest you visit an Apple store or Apple reseller and check it out, even if you don't plan on buying one, it's interesting to see what other companies will strive to achieve in the next year or two.
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnandTech posted a pretty awesome review of the MacBook Pro with Retina Display today. Check it out if you're interested.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
AnandTech posted a pretty awesome review of the MacBook Pro with Retina Display today. Check it out if you're interested.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review

I read the review and most of the comments. There sure are a lot of Apple haters on that forum Smile . They were also very critical of his review. It's difficult to even have an opinion nowadays without someone criticizing your point of view.

I try to keep an open mind. I've frequented Anandtech for the past couple months daily, as I've been contemplating building a PC. I personally feel there is a place for both Macs and PCs both high end and affordable models. I still haven't built a PC and may not, because the parts I like gets me near a 27" iMac price point without a display. It's actual quite difficult to compete against Apple in the premium product category. Apple makes premium products in quantity and actual offers very good value. I think companies are going to have a very difficult time competing against Apple on the 15 retina MBP. They don't have what it takes to compete with Apple in this segment of the market.

It's strange. If someone told me they spent $2200 + for a PC laptop, I'd think they were nuts, but with Apple I feel you get what you pay for.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I try to keep an open mind. I've frequented Anandtech for the past couple months daily, as I've been contemplating building a PC. I personally feel there is a place for both Macs and PCs both high end and affordable models. I still haven't built a PC and may not, because the parts I like gets me near a 27" iMac price point without a display. It's actual quite difficult to compete against Apple in the premium product category.

No doubt, Apple makes great systems and software. That being said, I just built a Core i5 Ivy Bridge based Micro-ATX system for just over $600. It has a Lian Li case, Intel motherboard, Corsair power supply, 16GB of RAM and dual 7200-rpm hard drives to boot. Now... I only have it running W7, W8 preview and Ubuntu, but that's really hard to beat. It's become my primary machine.

If you decide to build one, send me a PM. We can discuss parts or whatever.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
.....Apple.....actual offers very good value......

I agree, but with a slightly different arguement: I have found, comparing Mac and PC products I come across, Macs have a longer useful life, hence the cost per year is easily comparable, or even: Macs are cheaper.

Sounded a bit like a fanbois there, but I'm not really. Smile
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooblie wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
.....Apple.....actual offers very good value......

I agree, but with a slightly different arguement: I have found, comparing Mac and PC products I come across, Macs have a longer useful life, hence the cost per year is easily comparable, or even: Macs are cheaper.

Sounded a bit like a fanbois there, but I'm not really. Smile

I can totally validate your argument with real numbers. My Apple reseller store buys and sells used Macs. Of course I dont know what a $2200 retina display will buy and sell for in 3 years from now, but my guess is that we would buy them for $800 and sell them for $1000 with a 3 month warranty. People will still be asking $1200 for the on eBay etc.

So to use a retina display for 3 years for $1000 is a pretty good deal. Sure you could buy a $300-$500 PC laptop and hope for the best but it's not the same. Alternatively your could buy a $1500 high end laptop, but what will it's value be in 3 years. You be lucky if you could sell it for $500. Your cost would also be $1000 for 3 years use, but I doesn't have a Retina dosplay OS X, it will likely weigh more, have less battery life etc.

ps, I'll PM you Ben_Tex it sounds like a nice build for $600
castaway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Notebook Review has the best review of the rMBP.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6495&Review=Apple+MacBook+Pro+2012+Retina+Display
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: