123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airport Extreme - Shared Hard drives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you own/use a recent-vintage Airport Extreme base station, and if so, do you use the "hard drive sharing" feature? If so, do you find it useful?
I have/use a late-model Airport Extreme, I use the "hard drive sharing" feature, and I find it very useful.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
I have/use a late-model Airport Extreme, I have used the "hard drive sharing" feature, but I do NOT find it very useful.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
I have/use a late-model Airport Extreme, but I have never tried the "hard drive sharing" feature.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I do not own/use a late-model Airport Extreme.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Airport Extreme - Shared Hard drives Reply with quote

I currently own an older, round "Hershey's Kiss"/"UFO"-style Airport Extreme. I'm thinking about upgrading in the future.

After Apple quietly introduced a new Airport Express during WWDC 2012, I started visiting Apple's Airport pages. I discovered a new feature called "hard drive sharing":

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/features/harddrivesharing.html

I assume this feature does not work on my old base station.

This feature made me think of the possibilities of replacing my old base station in the future. The notion of a USB "network drive", plugged into one of these newer Airport Extremes, is very intriguing. I'm currently using a 9-year-old iMac G4 as a combination file server and work station. Replacing the iMac would be costly, but what if I just used a shared network drive? Currently, the iMac doesn't do alot of heavy lifting. That's left up to a white MacBook and my MacBook Pro.

Does Apple's Airport Extreme "hard drive sharing" really work? Are there any caveats?

If there's anyone here who already does this, what kind of backup scheme do you use?
caulktel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its slower than molasses in January. It was kind of cool though how every OS on my network was able to access it.
iPhone 4S 16GB
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the mounting process to be a pain, I run a 1gb network so it's not bad but I prefer to have my FW800 drives directly connected.

It works, but it could work better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: