123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Started the switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gowdy is awesome

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Started the switch Reply with quote

OMG I have no idea what I'm doing! I've recently switched to the mac world since I got my iPad and my mac mini but so far I've encountered disaster around every corner. I'm guessing it's my PC way of thinking still that I need to get over. Here goes:
1. I had 3 itunes accounts since I'm retarded and didn't think I'd ever switch over to mac. So how do I merge them into one?
2. I set my iPad up on my work e-mail and my mini up on another...again dumb idea....."I know".......how do I fix this?
3. On the PC version of iTunes I could import my music from my hard drive directly into iTunes. Why will mac not let me do this?
4. Where is iCloud in this whole mess? I have the LionOS but I still have the Moblie Me icon and I can't figure out how to get iCloud on here?
5. where can I get windows applications to run on a mac like .pdf docs and such. I work from home a lot and this is killing me.

Other than my petty griping I love the mac so far. If I could get everything to jive the way I've heard about this would make my day. Please help! Thanks
Shocked Shocked
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit behind the times so I can't accurately answer for 10.7, but here we go!

As far as I know, you can not merge iTunes accounts. You could have multiple iTunes accounts in iTunes. If Apple changed this, then Apple is silly.

The Mail application can handle numerous email accounts. Just configure Mail to handle them. If you are asking about the iPad, then it should do the same, if not then Apple is silly.

ITunes used to have an Add to Library... option in the file menu. If it doesn't have that any more then Apple is silly.

ICoud - no iDea.

Documents are not apps. Preview can open PDFs. You can of course get Microsoft Office if that is what you need for work. There are free versions of OpenOffice that are mostly compatible with MS Office.

Otherwise, welcome to the world of the mini.

SC

ps - you could also setup the mini to either boot into Windows via Bootcamp, or run Windows as an application via Fusion, Parallels, or Virtual Box.

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
DrakkenWar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Started the switch Reply with quote

1. I had 3 itunes accounts since I'm retarded and didn't think I'd ever switch over to mac. So how do I merge them into one?

You can't. Each account is a separate entity.

2. I set my iPad up on my work e-mail and my mini up on another...again dumb idea....."I know".......how do I fix this?

When you launch Mail-> Preferences->Accounts Click the plus in the bottom left and add your accounts with the correct information. From there you can set sort rules.

3. On the PC version of iTunes I could import my music from my hard drive directly into iTunes. Why will mac not let me do this?

With iTunes 10. You will have to click on File-> Add to Library and navigate to your music. Or you can choose the option to add a folder.

4. Where is iCloud in this whole mess? I have the LionOS but I still have the Moblie Me icon and I can't figure out how to get iCloud on here?

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/mac.html?siclientid=5899&sessguid=f9fc0d68-5231-45e5-85e5-67243ad8c641&userguid=f9fc0d68-5231-45e5-85e5-67243ad8c641&permguid=f9fc0d68-5231-45e5-85e5-67243ad8c641 (That's about as easy as it gets for setting up iCloud, feel free to pm or mail me if you still have issues)

5. where can I get windows applications to run on a mac like .pdf docs and such. I work from home a lot and this is killing me.

There are a few options here; if you have the money Pages is the way to go

http://www.apple.com/iwork/pages/

If not? Then:

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

While libre might remind you of winders and what not, it is a capable and free tool to get the kind of things done you are asking about.

Also you can get Adobe Reader natively, it's a simple download:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/73/adobe-reader

Other than my petty griping I love the mac so far. If I could get everything to jive the way I've heard about this would make my day. Please help! Thanks
Shocked Shocked[/quote]

" Live Free Or Die" -New Hampshire
----------------------------------------------------------
(2011 i7Mini/i7/4GB/10.7.4)
(2005 PB/15"/1.5/2GB/10.5.Cool
(iPhone 3GS/16GB/iOS 5.1.5)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok here we go.

On icloud you have to install the latest os updates for lion to do this click the apple menu it is the apple icon you see in the upper left corner of your screen and select software update.

then look for icloud it is in system pref.

remember icloud doesn't appear in snow leopard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: