123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Troubleshooting help, Bootup, I/O error?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJag

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting help, Bootup, I/O error? Reply with quote

A neighbor having given up on this Mac Mini gave it to me yesterday. This afternoon I hooked it up and am attempting to troubleshoot it to figure out what the problem is.

What I have is according to the sticker:
Serial: YM83574LYL1
MAC MINI 1.83/2X512/80/COMBO/AP/BT-USA

This is the first mac computer I have ever owned/ worked on but I do have a lot of experience with PC computers.

It will start and then during loading you get a stop screen indicating that it needs a reboot in several languages. It always ends at this screen, though sometimes it will show a folder with a question mark before going to the restart screen. I am using only monitor, keyboard, mouse.

Looking things up on the net I tried safe mode 'shift' at startup, with no change. I then tried to reset the memory using Command + Option+ P+R, it cycled a couple times and still behaves the same.

Then I tried command+V and it went through the first portion of it's startup and then halted after displaying the following code.
[img]http://postimage.org/image/hjcjvk6x9/[/img]

It seems everything is ok until it hits a Level 3 I/O error.

Am I looking at a bad harddrive in this system or do I just need to do the mac equivelent of a reformat and reinstall of the OS? Sorry if I am a bit dense but as I said before I have little experience with Macs. Can any old harddrive work in a mac mini or does it take the equivelent of a laptop hardrive?

Thanks
Rick
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, nothing would be lost by trying to boot from the install disc and see if Disc Utility can see the HDD, and try and format and install a fresh OS.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Logic Board or Hard Drive Reply with quote

The folder with the ? indicates that
your Logic Board (Mother Board) can't
find the OS on the Hard Drive during
the boot (start up) process.

So, your Logic Board or your Hard Drive
or both are bad or going bad.

My 2₵.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say logic board and for that old of a model you might just want to replace it with a new mini because that models board from apple is a 500.00 replacment part not worth the time to fix
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: