123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVD drive failure?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebedgert

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: DVD drive failure? Reply with quote

I hardly ever use the CD/DVD drive on my Mini, which I've had for about 3 years. I maybe use it ten times a year. Yesterday I watched quite a few DVD's, and everything was fine. Today, I go to insert a DVD and I can't even physically get it in - as if something was stuck in the drive, but there's nothing in there.

Tried all sorts of recommended fixes - fancy restarts, gently pushing on the DVD while tapping on it - nothing works. He's dead, Jim.

Replacing the drive would probably be too expensive at this point... is there any hope and are these DVD drives on the Mini really that awful that they'd fail after light use? Has anyone come up with any other fixes for this situation?
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll assume you've tried these but if not it's worth a try.

Reset the SMC > Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
3. Wait fifteen seconds.
4. Attach the computer's power cord.
5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Reset the PRAM and NVRAM > Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could have just jammed..

Time to get some electronic grease.

the plastic drive initiation latch in the drive might be stuck and need grease i have had this happen on a 1.6 ghz mac mini before i found out i didn't need to replace the drive just take the drive cover off the drive and apply some grease but be forwarned i dont recommend it for beginners make sure you know what you are getting yourself into before you attempt this option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: