123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internal power supply reliability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Brussell

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Internal power supply reliability Reply with quote

First post here!

I've been wondering about the 2010 and 2011 Mac minis with the internal supply. Has this been at all a troublesome part? Is it able to be replaced? I know the old Mac minis had an external power supply. I'm just worried about this being an issue. Especially coming from the word of PCs, where I've been through a fair share of power supplies over the years.

So, is this even a valid concern? From what I've read, the Mac minis come off as being pretty reliable machines.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen various complaints about it, but never read nor heard of one failure. I would feel comfortable saying excellent reliability. The most common complaint that I've seen is that by putting it internal Apple failed to add this or that to the machine, which is silly. Apple puts what they want when they want, I would suggest there hasn't been an oversight in an incredibly long time.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen issues with any of the minis internal power supplies. Btw I work for an large Apple reseller/ service center.

I wouldn't be concerned. It's much nicer than the big old external supplies, that were almost half the I've of the mini.
Mike Brussell

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

I would much rather have the internal power supply instead of a brick. I just wondered about its reliability. Like I said before, I've had the worst luck with power supplies over the past 5-7 years. Death after deal. I finally hooked on to a great one Corsair though, and it's been smooth sailing from there. But I'm ready to switch to a Mac now. Ubuntu isn't doing it for me anymore and Windows 8 with Metro the Metro looks like a big old mess.

Looking to become a more active member once I get up and running. I'm going to order one this week.

And again, thanks for the replies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: