123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Perian being put out to pasture.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Perian being put out to pasture. Reply with quote

Looks like the Perian crew is moving on. Sad

Quote:
A notice to all of our users and supporters

We began the Perian project over 6 years ago. We wanted to simplify viewing your content. Our team has attained that goal and with that in mind, Perian will be retired soon. Our stewardship has been a blast but it's time for all of us to move on.

From the beginning we kept Perian simple. Our preferences were minimal, updating was easy, and we gradually grew the product to add in extras like subtitles and different formats. We've contributed a lot. Today, Perian stands as complete as it ever will be under our stewardship.

There are some projects that we never got to. As an example, we would have liked an official, flexible, and well-documented import API to speed up MKV. We hit a brick wall there. Still, we reached a great stopping point and Perian's installed userbase proves how valuable this tool became to so many people.

Starting 90 days after the final Perian release, we will no longer provide support. We'll wrap up our loose ends, pack up our bags, and move on to new and exciting projects.

Here's what our roadmap looks like:

We will soon release the final version of Perian, including all the fixes we've worked on since the last release. It may -- or may not -- work on 10.8.
We will post the source code to either Google Code or Github.

Here's what we're looking for from you, our users

Download Niceplayer , it's pretty great -- and those folks are doing a fantastic job.
Support each other on our Google Group list . We mean this. Just because we aren't helping anymore on a regular basis, that doesn't mean that you can't.
Are you a developer? Pick up where we left off. Join us on #perian on irc.freenode.net. Yeah, we're all pretty busy -- so stick around after asking your question. You may have to wait a bit for an answer. Chalk it up to asynchronous tech support.
Want to donate? We appreciate the thought. It's hard times these days and your money will make a bigger impact elsewhere. Consider Child's Play , Ronald McDonald House , or the EFF . We no longer accept donations.

A final word: If and when Perian stops working, try looking into VLC or MPlayer OS X. Sure, they're not Perian, but they offer great software still under development.

Thanks for all of your support over the years. It has meant a lot to all of us.

Chris Forsythe
Graham Booker
Alexander Strange
Augie Fackler

PS We would like to thank Erica Sadun for helping us write this letter, and for general guidance.

I did a bit of looking around, and I didn't see a release date for the final version, so I don't know when it's coming out.

I'd like to offer a sincere thanks to the Perian team. They really created something the made using a Mac just that much better.

SC

edit - removed the hotlinked image

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!

Last edited by Smithcraft on Tue May 22, 2012 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled across this news a few days ago, kind of feels like a good friend is moving on.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad day. It's saved me from VLC for years.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad indeed! It's almost always one of the first things I install on a new Mac. Sad

@YGuy

Maybe I'm taking it wrong, but why the disdain towards VLC? I think it's another great project like Perian. It's also sort of a must have for Handbrake these days.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am sad to see it go but with so many formats changing every year vlc and even plex have issues running video so all though i am sad to see it go i will just say this good bye and farewell you will be missed by one and all.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGN no distaste at all, I respect what VLC does I just find the interface on a Mac out dated and ugly.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to see another classic go.

Its also one of the first things on my Mac's Sad

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: