123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to install Snow Leopard on an external HD ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2trout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: how to install Snow Leopard on an external HD ? Reply with quote

I am currently running Lion on my Mac Mini, I have an external drive onto which I want to install Snow Leopard so that i can play some older Mac games I have which do not work under Lion.
I insert the Snow Leopard CD, restart the Mac whilst holding down the option key and boot from the Snow Leopard CD, hoping to then select the external HD for Snow Leopard installation.
The Mac starts up, I can hear the Snow Leopard CD being accessed, however, after about a minute or so, a screen comes up saying that I have to shut down the Mac by holding the power button, so obviously the Mac will not continue to boot from the Snow Leopard CD.
Is this because I am running Lion on the Mac or is there a problem with the Snow Leopard CD.
If it is because the Mac is running on Lion, how can I install Snow Leopard to the external HD.
I am using the Newer Technology USB 3 Universal Drive Adapter to connect the external HD to my Mac, the Mac sees the external HD no probs and I can format the external HD etc., so that side seems to be OK.
Thanks for any help. Smile
gaby

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this can help you, http://www.maciverse.com/installing-snow-leopard-onto-an-external-hard-drive.html
2trout

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that link.
Unfortunately, same problem, so I am thinking my Snow Leopard DVD must be damaged. There are some minor scratches on it, maybe one of them is in a critical area!
gaby

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2trout wrote:
thanks for that link.
Unfortunately, same problem, so I am thinking my Snow Leopard DVD must be damaged. There are some minor scratches on it, maybe one of them is in a critical area!

your welcome Smile
hmm.. why don't you let apple see what's wrong with your snow leopard dvd? do you still have the warranty?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it might not be what you think...

Remember there are certain versions of the snow leopard's dvd that run on certain machines and even retail disk's sometimes wont load on certain mac mini's question is this a 2011 mac mini or a 2010 or a 2009 ???

2011 mac mini's you have to hack the o.s because the card reader in the 2011 mac mini causes a kernel panic in snow leopard on certain DVD versions of snow leopard. Which i admit sucks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: