123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The New iPad Review Roundup
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent' ran mine long enough to feel any heat issues, but I could have them I been busy with my apple tv. It feels a little snappier, but I think I am the only one in the world who is not all that impressed with the screen. Zooming is definitely clearer on text, but I think I like the colors of the ipad2 a tad better. I was mirroring my iPad with apple tv and was shocked to see how clear text was on my Sony tv.

I was a little worried about the weight it's practically the same. I think the new one maybe a little more comfortable to hold. Its a nice iPad for sure. I remember the second iPad wait I went without an iPad for a month or so. I was really missing it. This time around I wasn't as much. Almost nice in away at times just not constantly having a screen in my face. For what I use one for they are extremely over priced. I'm really not sure I can justify the price. I may return mine and get another ipad2 used down the road. Tough call I want one but not sure I want to pay this much.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No such issues with my new iPad. I mostly use it like Bandit Bill though. For reading, surfing the web, email, maps, listening to music and watching movies. It doesn't seem any warmer while charging up either. I think my iPad 1 was actually warmer while charging.

I also think the screen beats the iPad 2 is every way possible. It does appear to have a warmer hue though, which is something that I actually prefer over cooler blues and whites.

I've also been impressed with the back camera. The iPad 2's camera isn't even in the same league. I just wish they would've improved the front camera. It's shitty as ever.

Overall, no regrets here. It's a nice device. Expensive yes, but nice.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Apple left the front camera as is, so that it takes up less bandwidth with FaceTime. Sure it's a little grainy, but for me it does the job. I'd probably prefer it that way vs. being choppy.
A nicer front camera with adjustable settings could be the solution especially if it allowed auto scaling according to bandwidth.

Btw at launch the high end models are always the most popular, 16 and 32 GB model become quite a bit more popular as time goes on.
Squid3660

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never owned an iPad. Played with some store models. Pretty impressed. I've urged my friends to buy them though, and they did. I'm so compelled to buy the "iPad 3" now, but I don't need one. I'm happy with my MBA. Still though... for some reason I just want one of these things! I must be good. Must be good. I Don't need. Don't need. Put the debit card away. Crap. I have the debit card number memorized. Desperately looking for distractions.

It's hard to escape though... Ipad 3 marketing is EVERYWHERE.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned all 3 iPads and just had my first FaceTime. That was pretty cool. Very Happy
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Finkle wrote:
I've owned all 3 iPads and just had my first FaceTime. That was pretty cool. Very Happy

It is pretty cool. Similar to yourself, I hadn't had a FaceTime conversation either. I think my first was about a month ago on an iMac and then again 2 days ago on the new iPad.

A few more options would be cool. ie show the other user your desktop etc.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resistance is futile Squid3660. Laughing

All I know is...that screen is gorgeous. I've never seen text as clear on another display. That being said, I'll probably wait until some of thermal and battery issues are addressed. It seems there might be some smoke where there is fire. Plus, I have another darn iPad to sell first.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Ray Finkle wrote:

It is pretty cool. Similar to yourself, I hadn't had a FaceTime conversation either. I think my first was about a month ago on an iMac and then again 2 days ago on the new iPad.

A few more options would be cool. ie show the other user your desktop etc.

Yeah that would be neat. My nephew was running around with the camera facing outward showing me food. Having me watch a television show with him. LOL Priceless stuff the first time and I am sure more to come. I do notice the screen being way better on this one now I've done a few test. I knew that immediately with text but other things seemed more subtle. I also think the newer one is more stable with mirroring to the new apple tv. I just noticed the heat issue you mentioned. I haven't even played any thing heavy yet. Need to let it charge now.

I noticed with auto brightness on in a dark room the screen gets real dark on me, and that seems to affect the image some. I kept tapping the screen so it wouldn't go to sleep. I thought that was the case it was just the brightness adjusting. I turned it off and it's punchy even turned down. Real popping screen. Not sure if I want to send this one back. I think if i do get another it will be the new model and not go back to last model like I said I might. I'm thinking if this heat issue is something to worry about now is the time to send in it back while I can.

Oh I think the speaker is better in this model too. Seems to me that guitar tones are more natural.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the speaker sounds much better too.
I wasn't sure if my ears were playing tricks on me or what.
I never heard anyone else comment on it, so I wasn't sure.

I think the handheld devices are much nicer for Facetime. It's fun to be able to show the weather, other family members etc.
Grover Time

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I think there is a chance that this iPad flawed. Nearly six hours of charging and I'm only at 73%. It even goes slower if you are using it while charging. I'm on new iPad number two, too. It's either that or the charger is inadequate. Something is just wrong.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grover Time wrote:
I'm sorry, but I think there is a chance that this iPad flawed. Nearly six hours of charging and I'm only at 73%. It even goes slower if you are using it while charging. I'm on new iPad number two, too. It's either that or the charger is inadequate. Something is just wrong.

It just takes a while to charge. I suggest you charge it when you go to bed.
It will take longer to charge wHile you are using it.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine takes close to 8-9 hours to fully charge. Battery life is then about equal with the iPad 2.
castaway

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen is brilliant, but I'm rather disappointed with battery life as time goes on. Perhaps an iPad 2 with the 32nm chip would have served me better.
gaby

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine takes about 6 to 7 hours from empty batt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: