123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who do you trust more with your data?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you trust more with your data?
Google
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Microsoft
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Who do you trust more with your data? Reply with quote

With all of the cloud based services out there today. I'm interested to know who you trust with your data. I didn't include Apple in the poll as I'm sure most people on this forum would have picked Apple.
zedtvl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None Cloud is a door open to the invasion of your privacy.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could have chosen (C) None of the above I would have. However, between the two I have a bit more trust for Microsoft. Seems Google has just been a bit to loose with Privacy issues lately.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither, and that would go for Apple too!

Seems Microsoft had a Hotmail challenge, and in two weeks they were toast.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2012/04/25/moving-from-gmail-to-hotmail-the-disastrous-conclusion/

The only way to keep my data secure is to keep it in house.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is why I don't like Google handling any more of my data than necessary:

Quote:
'Google's terms of use say: "You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours. When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes that we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content."'

http://www.macworld.com/article/1166561/privacy_advocates_slam_google_drives_privacy_policies.html

The best part comes at the end of the article!

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'Google's terms of use say: "You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours. When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes that we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content."'

That's crazy! I would expect something that said the opposite.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? That's pure Google right there!

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Why? That's pure Google right there!

SC

Because there is a big difference between refining my searches based on my search patterns vs. copying, modifying and publishing data associated with me. My guess is most people wouldn't expect this to be reasonable.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Bingo! That was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I really don't think they care about my pulled pork recipe that I emailed to my friend, but the level of arrogance thinking they have the right to it just torqued me off.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I take it you are unaware of the lack of privacy in Googles services?

I just Google for my searches, but I'm never logged in so they have to track my searches by IP number instead of by my Google account. Of course they can link an IP to an account, but why make it easy? twisted:

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Bill, I take it you are unaware of the lack of privacy in Googles services?

I just Google for my searches, but I'm never logged in so they have to track my searches by IP number instead of by my Google account. Of course they can link an IP to an account, but why make it easy? twisted:

SC

I've never read the terms of service agreement with Google services. I have a gmail account, but I never log into Google Services other than when I initially create an account.

Can you be more specific as to what people should be aware of. I think the Google terms clip pretty much says it all. Is Microsoft or Apple any different?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look up all the brouhaha from when Google standardized their non-privacy policies a bit back and it's all there.

When you go to Google does it have you logged in, or does it ask in the upper right to sign in? If you aren't signed in, then you are good(-ish) to go. If not, log out.

However, since the Google cookies are joined up now, if you have a YouTube account, and you get logged in, you will be logged into Google again. Or if you have a Blogger account and log in, you will be logged into Google again.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Apple, I'll say this - I've been down the Apple road before.

Classic Apple networking to OpenTransport to whatever the OS X networking is.

No Apple game tools (the Mac is for business the Apple ][ is for games!) to Game Sprokets/Game Kitchens to no tools again.

However what I feel is most relevant, as the those prior examples could just be examples of newer stuff replacing older stuff, is -

Free iTools to free .Mac to paid .Mac. Ok, Apple wants to charge for an email address and online storage - fine. Oh, they want $100 for email and online storage with ZERO support, and that can go down at any time with no discount towards your bill, or reimbursement? Then if you want an additional email address, it's $10 a year? With ZERO support?

Now of course Apple does have support now, but have you ever spent over an hour on hold with Apple? Been there, done that. Never again.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just passing a long an interesting article about Google

NYTimes: Data Harvesting at Google Not a Rogue Act, Report Finds
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/technology/google-engineer-told-others-of-data-collection-fcc-report-reveals.html?_r=2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: