123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini External Speakers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdkalpin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Mac Mini External Speakers Reply with quote

I am a happy new Mac Mini (mid 2011) owner.

I notice that I have to set the speaker volume to almost the max to reasonably hear the standard chimes. Music on it would be a waste of time.

I am anxious to keep wiring clutter at a minimum. Are there 'good' Bluetooth speakers available?

I guess I would have to plug one in to charge the batteries. Are there 'good' Bluetooth speakers with decent size batteries?

Jerry
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - you sure you've got the sound turned up?:

jdkalpin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini External Speakers Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did it exactly as you described (and I'm not sure how you annotated that screen shot ...!!)

Notification chimes are OK near the top of the volume setting. Some U-Tube clips are loud enough, some still too quiet. Music is tinny and lacks bass. I was hoping an external speaker would give me better sound in the middle of the volume adjustment.

Jerry
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://jawbone.com/speakers/jambox/overview

Here is an option. Not cheap, but it's pretty much the best sound you will get in a small package.

It will work over Bluetooth. You can plug them into AC power and it has a built in rechargeable battery (lasts 5 to 15 hours). All the cables are included.

That being said you will get better sound at a lower price with speakers that plug into the mini. Logitech makes good speakers at a good price.
gaby

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you find the right speaker, for lower prices you can always check ebay
jdkalpin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A more affordable solution might be an Altec Lansing IML237USB. It has a USB connection (not a 3.5mm audio). Look here: http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-iML237USB-Portable-USB-Powered/dp/B002NEG0VO

One of the Amazon reviews claims that this speaker squeals (feedback?) when his computer goes to sleep. I wonder if anyone on this forum uses one on a Mac Mini (mid-2011) ...and does it squeal?

Jerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: