123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie questions about sound & locating the monitor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k9th

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Newbie questions about sound & locating the monitor Reply with quote

I am new to Mac computers but do own an iPhone and iPad 2 which is what made me switch from Windows-based PC. I understand there is a speaker inside the mini but when I try to play music in iTunes nothing is heard. What am I doing wrong?

Is it OK to sit my monitor on top of the case? I have a 21" LED HDMI monitor that doesn't weight much but couldn't find anything in the manual about it.

I thought I read that Apple no longer ships computers with Java loaded - correct? How about Adobe Flash?

Nothing pops up to say I need either one, but some sights I go to are not functioning normally.

Thanks for your help I am 64 but a very quick learner, so hopefully I won't need to ask a lot of questions.

Tim
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome! A few Qs there, so let me kick off with some answers - but others here are very good and will jump in too....

There IS a speaker inside the mini, but it's tiny (no good for music - system beeps only, really) and it cuts out if you have something plugged into the 3.5mm audio output jack socket on the back. Do you? Is it on? Check also:
Apple Menu: System Preferences: Sound: Output tab: is the "HeadPhone Port" selected? and Output Volume turned up?
There's also a volume control on iTunes itself: to the left of the track name box?

I personally wouldn't sit a monitor on a mini - not really designed to carry the weight... The mini's too small also, surely? - it will be unstable?

Java is nothing to do with Flash. You can install Adobe Flash Player PROVIDED you ONLY get it from Adobe here:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Use Apple Menu: Software Updates, and that will/should bring you up to date with anti-Java measures recommended by Apple.
k9th

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.

The monitor sits quite nicely on the unit - that's where I put it last night when I set it all up. Its round foot print is inside the top of the mini.

The sound is on because I hear it making system sounds but I will check the settings.

I knew that Java and Flash were not related, but with all of the virus problems with Java I had read Apple no longer ships the Mini or any Mac with Java loaded. If that is true, I will need to look into loading it since some sights I visit regularly utilize it.

My iPad and iPhone do not have Flash and I was wondering if it was a matter of policy for Flash not to work on Apple computers. Again, I go to some sites that use Flash and just wanted to know the policy since when I was on the sites last night, they did not function normally but there was no messages popping up saying I needed to load Java or Flash.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíd agree with mooblie I wouldnít put your monitor on top, venting for one but the weight may cause problems long term. If you want it under the monitor Iíd get a stand or something to put the monitor on so the mini isnít the support.

I do believe the mini will not play music through the speaker, just the basic sounds. The speaker is not that good and I can see it being damaged with some musical notes. I got a set of speakers with sub for home and at the office with my mini I have speakers built-in my monitor that suffice for the work environment.

Apple didnít pull Java due to virus but due to other issues. If you want it, you install it and Apple can lay claim to it being user installed. I was virus free on all my Macs but Iíve disabled Java completely to see if I even needed it, so far I donít. I really hate Flash, but I have it installed but I use FlashBlock so I can enable it on sites that I really need it which are becoming very few and far between. Flash may come installed with Safari but I canít recall now.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Mac mini Reply with quote

k9th wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply.

The monitor sits quite nicely on the unit - that's where I put it last night when I set it all up. Its round foot print is inside the top of the mini.

The sound is on because I hear it making system sounds but I will check the settings.

I knew that Java and Flash were not related, but with all of the virus problems with Java I had read Apple no longer ships the Mini or any Mac with Java loaded. If that is true, I will need to look into loading it since some sights I visit regularly utilize it.

My iPad and iPhone do not have Flash and I was wondering if it was a matter of policy for Flash not to work on Apple computers. Again, I go to some sites that use Flash and just wanted to know the policy since when I was on the sites last night, they did not function normally but there was no messages popping up saying I needed to load Java or Flash.
I have Flash and it works perfectly with the Mac mini.Never put any monitor on this small computer you are looking for trouble doing this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: