123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1080p Apple TV power consumption

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: 1080p Apple TV power consumption Reply with quote

Has anyone here seen testing of the new 1080p Apple TV when it comes to power consumption? I believe the new Apple TV is Energy Star rated, so I'm wondering how it compares to the 720p Apple TV and how it performs at idle. Not necessarily when it's streaming video. I could be wrong, but I don't think the old model was Energy Star rated and/or approved.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how it compares to the 720p model, but Apple states in the specs that it uses 6 watts and that it "Meets ENERGY STAR 3.0 requirements for set-top boxes"
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw the 6-watt power supply mentioned and even compared it to the Roku boxes. I was just wondering what happened to power consumption in standby and how it compared with the old model. I saw that Roku claims 2-watt power consumption while streaming HD video. Plus, they have a Plex app without jailbreaking. Cool
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tech Specs

http://support.apple.com/specs/#apple%20tv

Both have 6 watt power supplies

TV 2 is only Energy Star 2.0 compliant (whatever that means in the scheme of things)
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page one of this PDF has the wattage information (sleep vs. streaming music and video) you are looking for.

http://images.apple.com/environment/reports/docs/AppleTV_Product_Environmental_Report_20110323.pdf

It doesn't break down the difference between the 720p and 1080 Apple TV 2s, but it mentions that it uses 90% less energy than the original Apple TV. As for the Energy Star rating. I think that's how most products get the rating. They have to consume 90% less energy than products in the same class. That class would be set-top boxes in the case of the Apple TV 2.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It looks like it compares almost exactly with the Roku boxes. Which is impressive considering that it probably has a more powerful chip. I just wish Apple would open the bloody thing to apps and Hulu Plus. That and Plex are why I'm leaning towards something from Roku. Then I start thinking about AirPlay. Decisions, decisions.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Thanks! It looks like it compares almost exactly with the Roku boxes. Which is impressive considering that it probably has a more powerful chip. I just wish Apple would open the bloody thing to apps and Hulu Plus. That and Plex are why I'm leaning towards something from Roku. Then I start thinking about AirPlay. Decisions, decisions.

I'm an Apple diehard, but in this case I say go with Roku. I got a purple one for the 2nd bedroom and the gf loves it. Mainly used it for Netflix and Hulu, but I like that I can access my Plex library on it and have access to a plethora of apps. Never used an ATV so I can't compare it, but for my needs, the Roku works just fine.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
I'm an Apple diehard, but in this case I say go with Roku. I got a purple one for the 2nd bedroom and the gf loves it. Mainly used it for Netflix and Hulu, but I like that I can access my Plex library on it and have access to a plethora of apps. Never used an ATV so I can't compare it, but for my needs, the Roku works just fine.

I agree. If fact, I went with the Roku HD for just about the same exact reasons. I'm just hoping that sooner or later DirectTV allows access to the HBO GO app. But other than that, it's been awesome in our bedroom. I also like the standard remote control. It's way better than the Apple remote in my opinion. The remote apps for iOS and Android aren't shabby either. And on the subject of apps, there are more than enough of them on the Roku to keep you entertained. Hulu and Netflix work like champs as well. It also works beautifully with Plex like you mentioned. So will I regret not going with an Apple TV in a couple months? Who knows. I think these devices will probably be dead in a couple years anyways. Maybe even Roku as a hole. All of these features will be built into our TVs. But for now, it's great way to go for second and third bedrooms. I still can't see it being a replacement for a Mac mini based-HTPC in the living room though. I'm just not willing to give up that level of control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: