123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem of ripping dvd to ATV2 with handbrake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maycijess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Problem of ripping dvd to ATV2 with handbrake Reply with quote

Morning all... I hope somebody can help as my Googling has been somewhat fruitless.

Things started with this: I tried to rip my vast DVD collection for use with my Apple TV2 and save some shelf space.

I have previously used Handbrake with no problems on my old MacBook, but the process was really slow.

I installed Handbrake and VLC on the new iMac, popped in a DVD (tried Thor etc), selected the source as the DVD... I can hear the drive spinning away and the activity windows shows it is doing "something"... but it is taking forever to decrypt the disk - this was near instant on my old PC and on the MacBook. I eventually have to force quit the application.

Because I've been unable to get beyond the disc protection, and this is very frustrating.

Any ideas, thoughts, solutions?

Many thanks
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to pre-rip with MakeMKV, and then use Handbrake on the resultant files.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can answer this but you wont like it let me explain..

1. Thor and other movies i.e Captain America contain new anti copy dummy sectors that prevent them from being decrypted with handbrake directly.

so he is right....

i would decrypt first.

But you still might face the same thing again because most decrypters cannot decrypt it sorry.

Same with disney..
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use either MDRP (Mac DVD Ripper Pro) or RipIt to rip the files off the DVD then I use Handbrake to code it. I do this because I really don't want the wear and tear on the DVD drive that handbrake would use to rip a movie, plus both ripping programs usually deal with the various forms of protection. I prefer MDRP since it use it to select the movie since some forms of copy protection trick your system to seeing numerous movies on the DVD and it's tough to find the real one.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you are having problems with Handbrake trying to rip a movie, try searching for that movie at the Handbrake forums.

Thor has a few threads, and one that explains how to do it.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Jack Dawson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not rip the disk first to the hard drive with something like Macx DVD Ripper Pro and then try to encode. That should be quicker anyway.

Once u have bypassed the protection etc, encoding won't be a problem.

Possibly looking at putting the internal drive from ur old Macbook in an enclosure as I know this drive has no problems. Not very elegant though...
maycijess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank u guys so much, plz keep answers coming:)
maycijess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handbrake is pretty hard for me, especially the setting thing, too confusing. Maybe a more simple way? Rolling Eyes
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't play with the settings at all.

If you don't see the preset window to the right of the Handbrake window click on the "Toggle Presets" then click on AppleTV 2, then down below you'll see a gear, click it and select Make Default. From then on it will use the settings well suited for most users using an ATV2. No fuss, no worries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: