123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ibank4 or quicken or other?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windrun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: ibank4 or quicken or other? Reply with quote

Hello - I just got a nice 2010 mac mini last few weeks ago and I added several program in, so I am thinking about bank software like ibank4 or quicken or other software.

Few people told me that not recommend to use quicken for mac mini. I don't know if you have problem with this before or do I use ibank4 software for my mac mini. One person told me to use MS Powerpoint, save your money.

Let me know what you think best bank software.

Thanks,
Richard
barry2012

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question!
saul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most MAC users were happy with the old Quicken and now there is a re-complied version that will run on Lion. The Quicken for Mac was hated by most.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57393812-263/intuit-releases-lion-compatible-quicken-2007/

Personally I still run Microsoft Money in a Windows virtual machine.
decaturnc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally use Money by Jumsoft.

http://www.jumsoft.com/money/

I like it. It may be a bit simple when compared to packages like iBank and Quicken. It works for me.
JohnrC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're considering Quicken, or anything by Intuit, check the license fine print. What they've instated over the past years is something called the "sunset policy".

This means that after a few years of use, Intuit will cripple your software so that it will no longer be able to download or import banking information. You have to pay them to upgrade. Personally I find this practice abhorrent.

I began using the product long before the "sunset policy", but raising this falls on deaf ears.

What's funny, if not a bit pathetic, is that Intuit has an online community forum at qlc.intuit.com . If you raise this issue, their "superusers" --- a kind of moderator --- will berate your complaint as spam, puerile flame, maybe even call you names, shut you down and label your discussion "closed". Yup, that's right, censorship if you're not a sycophant, lemming-off-a-cliff kind of person. Here's where they shut me down twice:

https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_full/bvae8mRn0r4AVQeJfaade6/another-sunset-policy-complaint?p=1&ppid=486079240&q=%22sunset+policy%22&s=0

and

https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_full/dMB_1kRpqr4ACOeJfaade6/re-censoring-another-sunset-policy-complaint?p=1&ppid=486079240&q=%22sunset+policy%22&s=1

Since I wouldn't be surprised if they completely remove the aforementioned threads, the following is the post describing the crux of my dismay:

Another 'Sunset Policy' Complaint

I have a real problem with any company, person or entity that arbitrarily and unilaterally changes the terms of an agreement in the middle of that agreement. Which is what Intuit has been shamelessly doing.

I also have many years (time/money/training) invested in Quicken and when I first purchased the product, I was in no way told about a "sunset policy". I did not rent, lease or take out a mortgage on this software. It's one thing to require updates to keep up with changes from banks. But to intentionally cripple a product to extract more money from its loyal customers is reprehensible.

It is incredible to successfully download the qfx file from one's bank, try to import it, and see Quicken's little message about being "...unable to verify the financial institution information...". Unable because it's not trying.

Adding insult, Intuit further has the audacity to say "oh, my goodness no... you can continue using the product for all of the other wonderful features". It is primarily for online banking and reconciliation that we have this software in the first place.

Thankfully I'm not getting any notice from the car company to advise that they've installed something that will suddenly prevent my car from going in reverse. But that I can continue to use all of the other wonderful directions. This is an implication that we're too stupid to know what is actually going on here.

Then we're directed to their "sunset policy" web page. I keep pointing out how recent it is. It is NOT the policy/license/agreement that I entered into years ago. If Intuit was fair and honest, it would grandfather the condition of the agreement to be applicable to the agreement entered into at that time.

And it's not about "the cost of supporting" a product. We're not asking for support. Some developers offer certain types of support after a certain period of time. But if support were needed, we should be prepared to pay additional fees. Provided of course that something different wasn't promised in the first place. That would be changing the agreement in the middle of the agreement.

One can only hope that there are enough people out there to boycott this type of business conduct and give Intuit a whole new meaning on "sunset".

( Asked yesterday 11:04am in Home & Business 2009, Viewed by asker yesterday 07:20pm, Views by community 8 )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: