123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement Fan Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Replacement Fan Needed Reply with quote

I picked up an inexpensive RAID enclosure called a Stardom Storage Safe Capsule Model SC2-B2. It's size is about that of a AirPort Extreme, and it works great. However the fan is LOUD. It sounds like a constant Jet engine whirring away and in a quiet room its very noticeable. I pulled the guts out today to see about buying a new fan for it. It uses a Sunon GB1206PHV1-AY noise on it is rated at 40.5 dB(A) - so I'd like to find something that fits and it much quieter. Does anyone have any recommendations? This isn't just a direct fan, as the exhaust comes out the side of the assembly, it's a blower type fan.

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1370504-blower-12vdc-60-x-15-4mm-gb1206phv1-ay-gn.html

I found a replacement but it was louder then the current one and appears they sell in bulk. Any advice would be appreciated.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer no thoughts on this.

Let me toss this idea out. Right now the box uses a blower fan, which pushed the fan out the side and not a straight pass through fan. Most of the replacement fans I've found all have similar decibel rating about 45-47, found one that has a 30db. However I fin many more that are the standard non-blower type which are quieter and move more air. I'm thinking maybe I'd be better off to drill some holes or cut out a section on top so it could blow straight out. I'm not overly worried about looks as the box is going to be behind our TV in an alcove built above the fireplace. But being quieter is important.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Stardom Fan Reply with quote

Are the Hard drives that you are using ones
that run HOT? Many external HD enclosures
don't use a fan at all. Can you try using the
enclosure without its TOP? Since it will be
hidden it should't matter, right? If you don't
like this you can do it temporarily till you can
get Stardom to send you a replacement fan.

Have you contacted Stardom yet? Maybe
Stardom will let you send it back for an
upgrade to the SC2-WB3. Just pay the
difference......its worth a shot.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, I picked it up so cheap from OWC that I won't hold out hope for Stardom doing much but worth a try. Hadn't even thought of running without the cover, where the fan is placed looks like it might cool some of the circuitry as well. But I'm only running two WD 1TB Green drives which seem to run pretty cool.

Thanks!
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Stardom exchange Reply with quote

I can't imagine two Green Drives overheating.
I'd reach out to Stardom for an exchange/upgrade.

EDIT:
I've been thinking about your fan noise issue and
Stardom may not consider it a problem. In that
case, install a Variable Resister (a Volume Control)
in the positive lead to the fan and just dial back
the fans RPM. That'll quiet it down and make it last
longer. You could even use a small Pot and keep
everything internal.
20" iMac G4 PPC
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am sorry to say i have to agree i am running two green drives

western digital 1 tb drives they dont get hot.

if yours are getting hot the box is malfunctioning my hard drives stop at a temp of 100 degrees and they always stay at 45 degrees i have never had a problem
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since bill's first reply I've had the insides running without the box. Drives are fine temp wise. However I the fan is just as loud, if I unplug it then it begins to beep, sure it's a temp warning alarm. So I'm back to finding some type of 60mm fan that I can drop in that is quiet. Sadly in the town I'm there are not that many computer stores that would have parts like this and Radio Shack no longer carries things like this in the store either.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: It Beeps??? Reply with quote

This is to easy........disable the beeper.

Hey, have you contacted Stardom's
Service Dept. and asked to purchase
a new fan? Just a thought.
20" iMac G4 PPC

Last edited by billb on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its on a board which is partially covered, comes down to the ol' crap to worth ratio, not sure how much time/energy/effort I want to put into this things.

Just frustrating they installed such a loud fan in the first place. Can't imagine sitting next to this thing all day long
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be glad you dont have a nas and a xserve

My fans sound like a wind tunnel
gaby

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you ask the salesman of the store then can help you better plus you can also ask them to test it if it's loud or not
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: