123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ipad 1 stopped syncing/charging
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerbouchard

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: ipad 1 stopped syncing/charging Reply with quote

This is the second one to do this. Early February the ipad refused to sync with mac mini or charge. Found if I turned it off it would trickle charge up, but took a while.Took it to Apple Store had about a month left on warranty. Swapped it out for a refurb iPad. Today 3 days after warranty expired the replacement iPad started doing the same thing. Tried two cords and 2 different apple charge plugs. They all worked fine for syncing and charging iPod Touch and Iphone4. After being told that warranty on ORIGINAL pad was up would be a hundred bucks to fix. I said this is a new pad that replaced the original out of the box and doesn't a refurb replacement have some kind of warranty? They said three months. I said give me another refurb ipad please. Kind of concerned to have two in a row have the docking port go bad. Never happened on my classic iPod, or my touch or my girlfriends phone. Is this a common problem on ipad 1s? Anyone else have multiple docking port failures?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't fully understand your story. Did Apple replace it again, or are you stuck with the faulty refurb?

I haven't seen any issues with any of the iOS devices 30 pin dock connectors and charging. The only issues I have seen are physical damage due to abuse, misuse, accidents.

Please clarify if you need help with the refurb or not. I'll run your scenario by my service dept. tomorrow.
kerbouchard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple replaced it again. I had to point out that they had given us an out of the box refurb in February before the original warranty expired. At first they just said warranty was expired. I then asked them to look up the date when we had been in. They then said the second refurb had a 90 day warranty and swapped it again. The tech said if it kept doing this then it must be a software problem on my end. I have an ipod classic 80g, I have had a 3rd gen Touch and now a fourth gen touch. Girlfriend has an iPhone 4. I sync these to iTunes through my 2010 Mini. All use the same cord plugged into USB on Mini. No problems with plugs on anything else. iPad has screen cover rubberized case and inside a pleather case/bluetooth keyboard. Never dropped, rarely leaves home. In fact it usually only gets charged every couple weeks max. Is this common on 1g iPads or have I just had a run of bad luck?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your charging routine? You mentioned you have charged it via the mini, but you had to power the iPad down to do so. Is this how you normally charge the device?
The reason I ask this is not all Macs can charge iPads via USB. I know for certain MacBook pros were unable to do so until recently.
I'm uncertain if and when the minis were able to do so. I know for certain my 1.83 C2D can not.

I suggest charging the unit with the power adapters.

What may be happening in your scenario may be isolated to one of your devices causing this issue. ie. the mini, one of your chargers, perhaps but least likely the cables. Another potential source is your power.

You may also just have had a stroke of bad luck.

Please provide more info on how you normally charge your iPad.
kerbouchard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it was hooked up to power adapter it either said not charging or did not see cable at all. their is always an Apple cable plugged directly into mini. It will charge the ipad. Again I use this cable with all my apple devices and no problems. Just makes me nervous to have the same issue with TWO different ipads in a short period of time. Just wondering if this was a common issue with ipads as i have never had an issue with the port on any other apple device.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPad requires more power than the iPhones and iPod need to charge.
You mentioned that you need to turn your iPad off to charge it with the mini. This leads me to believe that it does not have enough power to charge your iPad. You shouldn't have to do this.

From the Apple iPad iOS 4.2 User Guide:
Charge the battery: The best way to charge the iPad battery is to connect iPad to a power outlet using the included Dock Connector to USB Cable and 10W USB power adapter. When you connect iPad to a USB 2.0 port on a Mac with the Dock Connector to USB Cable, iPad may charge slowly while syncing.
Important: The iPad battery may drain instead of charge if iPad is connected to a PC, to a computer thatís turned off or is in sleep or standby mode, to a USB hub, or to the USB port on a keyboard.
If your Mac or PC doesnít provide enough power to charge your iPad, a Not Charging message appears in the status bar. To charge iPad, disconnect it from your computer and connect it to a power outlet using the included Dock Connector to USB Cable and 10W USB Power Adapter.

You may at times be draining the iPad to the point that it is stone cold dead. Rechargeable batteries do not like this. If left in this state for a length of time they can die permanently.

Why it now appears to be charging with the mini and not the iPad 10 watt charger doesn't make sense to me if the charger is supposedly functional. I would try to charge a different iPad with the charger and see what happens.

Bottom line, I would stop charging the iPad with the computer. I'd get a iPad charger that I know works with your iPad and use it to charge.
kerbouchard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a work around on another website when the original ipad quit syncing/charging. IF I turned the ipad OFF when it was plugged in to a charger OR the Mac-Mini it SLOWLY trickle charged. This allowed me to keep using the iPad but still could not sync as iTunes did not "See" the iPad. It still would not recognize the cord and or sync to itunes. When plugged into adapter it would not "BEEP" and show the charging icon. It would SLOWLY charge if powered off and plugged into EITHER mini or adapter. I am sorry for the confusion of this point.
kerbouchard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Bandit I guess what I am trying to find out is if this is a common problem with the first gen ipads. As I mentioned earlier when this happened to the original iPad I tried to find any reference to it online. I found the trick of turning it off while plugged in during that initial search. It was a temporary work around till I could get it to the Apple Store. All other functions seemed to work I just could not charge it in the conventional manner or sync to itunes on my home setup(mini). Have you seen this problem in your experience working for Apple? I was not to concerned until the replacement ipad did it also. Any input appreciated,Thanks. Very Happy
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plug the iPad in to the 10 watt USB charger or a computer with a USB port capable of charging an iPad... you should hear a single short BLEEP, it will then indicate the % charged in the center of the screen and show a battery. In the upper right corner of the iPad you will see a small battery with a lightning bolt in the center indicating the iPad is charging.

Anything other than this is not normal.

If you plug it into a port and it say not charging in the top right corner then the USB port does not support charging the iPad or at least not at the normal rate. It still may charge, but it will take a while.

You shouldn't have to turn the iPad off to charge it.

Are the problems you are having normal. NO. I haven't seen anyone having issues charging an iPad. No tricks needed. Why you had two doing the same thing is beyond me. I would suspect that a piece of equipment you have is causing this issue.

If you ever get another iPad, make sure you get another power adapter and dock cable. Mark them and don't mix them up with the other cables and chargers you already have.
kerbouchard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The turning off was a suggestion from online I saw while trying to run down the problem. If you turned it off,plugged it in, then checked say 12 hours later the battery indicator would show higher than before. Anytime time you hooked it up while powered up no "bleep" no lightning bolt across the battery no recognition in itunes that ipad was there. I can't stop using the Mini. Thats where my itunes is. The second ipad I could get to work once or twice if I kept wiggling cable on adapter. All my stuff is Apple never had a dock receptacle(?) fail on an iProduct. Used both mini and cable adapter with iphones and touches. Guess I just got unlucky with 2 ipads. The ipad will not charge if connected to a USB hub through the mini. Only from cable directly plugged to USB on back of mini.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different USB ports put out a different amount of current. It needs to be 2.1 amps like the new MacBook Pros put out for the iPad to charge correctly.
(At a decent rate, without having to turn the device off).

iPods and iPhone only require 1 amp. Using them for troubleshooting an iPad doesn't really add any value.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a usb charging issue sorry..

And it's going to get worse before it gets better.

You need a powered usb hub the mini just doesn't have the juice to charge the iPad 1 and will cause the iPad 1 to fail to charge/sync i would recommend a iPad dock and try that first plug the iPad 1 into the dock and see what happens if it charges its the mini usb ports if it doesn't charge i would go back to apple and tell them this is stupid and crazy this is the 2nd one you have given me and it still doesn't work.
kerbouchard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
It is a usb charging issue sorry..

And it's going to get worse before it gets better.

You need a powered usb hub the mini just doesn't have the juice to charge the iPad 1 and will cause the iPad 1 to fail to charge/sync i would recommend a iPad dock and try that first plug the iPad 1 into the dock and see what happens if it charges its the mini usb ports if it doesn't charge i would go back to apple and tell them this is stupid and crazy this is the 2nd one you have given me and it still doesn't work.

Again I am sorry for the confusion on this. My original wording is the problem. The cord plugged DIRECTLY into one of the minis USB ports ALWAYS charged the iPad. Using the charger that came with the iPad and the same cord ALWAYS charged the iPad. If i used a USB dock/hub it would not charge. The problem is that the iPad stopped recognizing the cord when connected EITHER from the charger or direct to mini. iTunes would not see the iPad. Could not sync to mini or charge. FORGET THE WORK AROUND I MENTIONED. It is irrelevant. This happened with 2 ipads. First generation.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you have a compatible ipad dock...

not a third party that says it works
rhannie8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omg, I can't believe I found someone with the exact same issue. It is not just a USB charging issue. I also have a first generation iPad. Worked perfectly until last weekend. Now, suddenly, it won't sync with my computer. Computer doesn't acknowledge that the device is even plugged in, and the iPad also shows no signs of being connected to the computer. In order to charge, I have to reboot the iPad before I plug in the apple-issued charger. Otherwise, it will not recognize that the charger is plugged in. Sometimes after rebooting, it says Not Charging, and I have to let it sleep in order for it to charge overnight.

If you figure out a solution, please let me know!

I'm convinced that it's an evil plot from Apple to make me upgrade to an iPad 2 or the new iPad. Evil or Very Mad Seems to coincide with all of the most recent updates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: