123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternative to Plex and XBMC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
systimax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Alternative to Plex and XBMC Reply with quote

Hello, I am not a fan of the way Plex forces you to scrape media. I don't have time to make sure all my files are correct. I can create folders myself and drop videos in them.

I can't use xbmc which doesn't force me to scrape due to a bug with the mac mini and audio. (I think there moving in the direction soon anyway)

Can anyone recommend 1 simple app for me.

I just want to open an app on the mac, see my movies in a list that i created with my own folder structure, be able to choose, play movies,fast forward, and set volume with the apple remote.

Also Id like to be able to control the video players volume independently of the system volume.

Doesn't seem to much to ask for Smile

Thanks

Last edited by systimax on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can do that with Plex, by just using Personal Media, rather than the movie and tv sections.

I'm not aware of any media center applications that do what you want. VLC comes close with some of it's features.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Plex, but had a lot of issues with the Media Manger and the sheer number of false titles it found. I went to XBMC and haven't looked back. I use iDentify to name all my Movies/TV Shows and use the standard naming convention and make sure the IMDB # is in each. I put all my movies into one folder, TV Shows in one of 2 folders. I've been happy with XBMC Eden as well as v10. Frankly FrontRow worked pretty good for my needs but now that I have XBMC working correctly I prefer the visual interface.

Beyond that I never found any others that really worked well. I had hopes that somebody would pick up FrontRow and keep it going, the others like it were all very clumsy though.
systimax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited my post. I meant to say I can't use xbmc either due to the audio bug here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=102946

Ill try v10 didn't know it was out thanks

Any idea of how I can start VLC remotely and pick a movie via the apple remote. I think the only issue would be the size of the font when browsing a for a video as well as keeping the media manager updated with new downloads.

Front row never worked for me due to lack of subtitles and now its gone in lion from what I can tell.

thanks again.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving the new Eden XBMC a try might be worth it. Can's speak to the audio issue, I've had no such issues with my mini or iMac.

FrontRow was removed from Lion though I think some folks got it to run again, just seemed like a dead end product to me so I moved on from it. Wasn't easy since I had everything setup just the way I wanted it through iTunes, but was easy enough to rename the files so the scraping worked.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
FrontRow was removed from Lion though I think some folks got it to run again, just seemed like a dead end product to me so I moved on from it. Wasn't easy since I had everything setup just the way I wanted it through iTunes, but was easy enough to rename the files so the scraping worked.

I still miss it though. Just for playing music and stuff. I find Plex and XMBC not to be the greatest for browsing and listening. I was also getting a little more functionality in Front Row with MiRow. I need to set up a VM or something with SL again. It was pretty awesome.
geeji

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
I was also getting a little more functionality in Front Row with MiRow. I need to set up a VM or something with SL again.

You can run Front Row natively on Lion :
using Front Row Enabler or even better, Front Row pour iTunes 10.5.3 (works with English version, only tutorial is in French).
It would be interesting to know if MiRow works on Lion with the hacked Front Row...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: