123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The New iPad Review Roundup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: The New iPad Review Roundup Reply with quote

The New iPad Review Roundup
Friday, March 16, 2012
Posted by: Staff

We like to do a roundup of reviews for every major Apple hardware release. And this time around, it's a roundup of reviews for the third-generation iPad. We're talking about reviews from AllThingsD, The Verve, Macworld, Daring Fireball and more. And so far, they've been extremely positive. Taking note of the new iPad's Retina display, iSight camera, 4G LTE performance and battery life. So, down below you'll find excerpts and links to each review. You'll also find video reviews from Macworld and The Verge.

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1801.html
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy got one (16GB with Wi-Fi) at Walmart last night and brought it into work. That bloody screen is unreal. The camera seems to take pretty nice pictures too.
iLife's a Bitch!
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walked straight into a Verizon store this morning to get mine. There wasn't even a line or anything. In fact, there were only three other people in the store. I decided to go with the 16GB model with Wifi and 4G after looking at the display models. I may have some regrets down the line for not getting the 32GB model, but it's all that I can afford at the moment. The screen is absolutely gorgeous though. It's hard even looking at my computer screen now. It's also really fast on Verizon. My home DSL line is only 3Mbps, so now that's making my computer feel dated as well. Heck, I might just stick to using my iPad for everything. Smile
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold about 400 of them this morning. The launch was tame compared to the iPad 2 launch. We are all out of stock on half the models now. The 64GB models are all gone.

I will get my 64GB 4G model tonight. I ordered it from Apple because I knew we would sell out. Customers get theirs first before staff.

I agree the screen is stunning. I look forward to the new iPad.

4G is going to be awesome as well.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally said I was going to wait a little to buy one since I'm using it at work, and corporate security needs to approve the new iPad. This morning I had to pickup my car from service, and the Apple Store is in the same neighborhood, so I walked into Apple thinking I was just going to go look at the new iPad. To my surprise, there was a very talkative employee still giving out tickets; they were all out of the WiFi version, but had several AT&T and Verizon models left - so long story short, I just had to get it Very Happy

I haven't opened it yet, but can't wait too - I'm still scared of breaking security rules as well.

One thing that surprised me was AppleCare - I was told I had to buy AppleCare at the time of purchase, and that it couldn't be purchased later. Is this really the case, or was the employee just looking to make his warranty sales numbers better? ...I did go ahead and purchase AppleCare, but my intention was to purchase it within the next year. If we're required to purchase AppleCare at the time of purchase, is this just for iPad, or is it a decision we need to make right away when buying a computer?

...I know, I should have asked the employee, but I wasn't sure if i should believe him or not Confused
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:

...I know, I should have asked the employee, but I wasn't sure if i should believe him or not Confused

It says you have 30 days from the time of purchase on their website.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4689

Bandit Bill wrote:
I sold about 400 of them this morning. The launch was tame compared to the iPad 2 launch. We are all out of stock on half the models now. The 64GB models are all gone.

Overall, were the 64GB models the most popular model or didn't you get as many of them in stock? I was just wondering which model was the most popular or being ask for the most.
iLife's a Bitch!
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated our roundup with new reviews from Cult of Mac, Engadget and CNET.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Overall, were the 64GB models the most popular model or didn't you get as many of them in stock? I was just wondering which model was the most popular or being ask for the most.

64GB 4G models (black) are the most popular.

ps. UPS just delivered my 64GB 4G black iPad, while I was typing this post.

Yippee!!! Smile
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sreen on the new iPad is so crisp. I was thinking about something though. Would you be able to see a dead or stuck pixel on the screen with them being so small? It seems like they would be very hard to see.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
The sreen on the new iPad is so crisp. I was thinking about something though. Would you be able to see a dead or stuck pixel on the screen with them being so small? It seems like they would be very hard to see.

If you can't, then I guess I really doesn't matter.

I doubt you'd be able to notice, due to the size.

The heat issues that people are experiencing is going to end up being a big deal. We have 2 new iPads and an iPad 1 and 2 running at our store. Both of the new iPads are quite warm, doing the same thing in he same environment.
My own personal new iPad is quite warm. I thought putting it in a leather case would be enough to stop the heat from coming through, but it doesn't. It actually gets uncomfortable to hold it after a while. It gives you that sweaty I want to wipe my hands feeling.
It's all over the forums. People have mentioned turning the brightness down helps. Others have mentioned it's only warm while charging. Others have commented that after a few charging cycles it gets better.
I guess we will have to wait and see, but so far I am disappointed with he heat, given this is a device that was meant to be held.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally opened my iPad and have not experienced the heat issue many people are talking about. I played MetalStorm yesterday, which is pretty graphic intensive, and have been using it at the gym; where I either stream Pandora or iTunes for at least 50 minutes while surfing the web or using other apps.

One issue I have experienced is with AT&T's 4G, where it doesn't seem to work unless I go into settings, power off the cellular network, and turn it on after a few seconds. It's not the service, because I've tried it at 3 different locations, and it works great after I go through my reset process. I'm starting to think it can be because I transferred service from my previous iPad or there could be something wrong with the iPad.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LG and Samsung are both making screens for new iPads. Likely one of the manufacturers is putting out a screen that is running hot.

I'm not too worried about it. Likely I'll exchange mine for one that doesn't run hot once it's all figured out.

I don't play games, just web surfing, reading mags and PDF files. Pretty basic stuff, not enough to make it run hot.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine gets really hot on the left side. Especially down towards the bottom left corner. I just might bring it back to the Apple Store this week and see what they have to say. It's gotta be from the battery and GPU though. It doesn't seem like something that could be fixed with a software update. Am I wrong?
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed it being a little warmer than my original iPad at first, but I don't feel it being as warm now after going through two charge cycles. I never thought it was a deal breaker or something to worry about. It's a payoff for the extra performance.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
LG and Samsung are both making screens for new iPads. Likely one of the manufacturers is putting out a screen that is running hot.

I wouldn't doubt that it's the screen from LG. Samsung make the BEST mobile displays out there.

That being said, don't they have to be identical from an engineering standpoint? So how much could the screens really differ that one would run much warmer than the other? To me, the larger capacity battery or quad core graphics seem to be more likely candidates.

Interesting on the sales. I was thinking the 16GB models would be most popular just based on the price.
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: