123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini for Protools LE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratoblaster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Mac Mini for Protools LE Reply with quote

Hi everyone! My name is Steve and I am new here. Happy to meet you all.
I am a G5 Power Mac 2.5 GHz user that is looking to upgrade. I am sure that any MAC mini is more powerful than my current machine. I primarily use this for music production , iTunes and Aperture. I run Protools and am going to upgrade this to version 10 which supports Lion OS.
I ruled out iMac's because I never was a believer in all in one ANYTHING because of component failures so the MAC mini seems the logical choice. I intend to utilize the HDMI output to a 40" LED HDTV because I prefer the look of the ProTools interface on a large screen as opposed to running 2 monitors.
I will load any machine I buy to maximum RAM capacity which I have learned from this site is 16GB? Apple store support says only 8 GB but I see people here are using 16 GB successfully. Pro Tool requirements are 4GB RAM and I think because it is a 32bit program it wont push beyond. I wouldn't use this machine for multitasking and would be the only user but I still would max the RAM anyway,it is cheap enough to do so.
My decision lies with the two upper tier machines ; the 2.7Ghz dual core i7 or the 2.0 quad core i7 server. I think the server might be the better deal priced at $999 as opposed to my options on the dual core totaling $1049. I would have to bump the base machine up $250 dollars for the i7 processor and the 750 GB ,7200rpm drive. The server comes with the dual 500 GB, 7200rpm drives with more space and 4 cores for actually less money. Internal drive capacity isn't a huge concern because I use Glyph swapable Firewire hard drives now and will upgrade to the Promise Pegasus R4 or Lacie Thunderbolt externals.
A few concerns :
1. The discrete graphics card only available on the dual core,is obviously better for gaming which I do not do,but I do run Aperture for my photo processing using large RAW files. Wondering how the Intel HD 3000 would stack up.
2. Can the Lion Server OS be completely shut off and just run the Lion OS on the server? I believe Lion Server has compatability issues with Protools.
3. Anyone using these machines on a Protools setup? Wondering if more processing power (Quad core 2.0) is needed or if Dual core i7 is adequate.
4. Seems I have to decide against better processing/core setup OR better graphics, if anyone knows if Protools V10 is more intensive on the graphics side or if better to go with more processing (which i am more inclined to think it is)
Thanks for any advise anyone can give and sorry for the long winded explanation, but felt I should give you guys the most information on my usage as possible to help with your recommendations.
Thanks all!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that Aperture isn't GPU oriented. Hopefully it's available through the AppStore, since it is still distributed via DVD. I would iMagine it works with OS X Server.

As for Pro Tools, it appears to be fine with more memory. Since OS X doesn't have the same restrictions in memory addressing that Windows has, I don't think it would be an issue.

Pro Tools 10 System Requirements wrote:
Total System RAM: 2GB minimum, 4GB (or more) recommended

So, I think the question is, is running OS X Server gonna make an issue for you with Pro Tools? I wasn't able to find anything about that at Avid's support site.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
stratoblaster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smithcraft. I can load my Aperture on the mini with a disc drive I imagine. I guess my real concern with the server app on lion OS is that I have had reports from people who say it doesn't work with pro tools. I did some research since, on removing the server app from the OS and found this post that seems to support it can be done. Just would want to make sure that it will leave me with the actual "standard" version of Lion and not have any conflicts with server OS.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3190174?start=30&tstart=0
I'm almost inclined to go with the dual core now just to not take a chance with compatibility issues but still would prefer the more powerful processing of the quad core.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might just be overall easier to go with the dual core, and not have to deal with ripping the OS apart. It's too bad the design of the new mini makes people make this choice.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: