123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SSDs in RAID0 - what disc to choose?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: SSDs in RAID0 - what disc to choose? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about upgrading my 2010 Mac Mini Server to the newest 2011 Dual Core i7.

My Server edition is upgraded with hybrid HDDs, Seagate Momentus XT, so I don't wan't to go back in performance, so thinking about equipping the new machine with a pair SSDs.

1)
I don't have any knowledge about how SSDs work, so am wondering if there is any problems in using them in a RAID0 setup?

2)
Will the continuos read/write wear the cells down quicker than if I left them as two separate drives (or if I settle for only one instead)??

3)
I am looking on specifically three different drives:
Intel 520 Series 180 GB
OZC Vertex 3 Max IOPS Edition 120 GB
Corsair Performance Pro 128 GB

Wich one would you recommend for RAID and why?

I am my self looking mostly on the Corsair as it have a nice price/performance compared to the OZC and a very easy understandable warranty compared to the Intel (they have reseller, oem and normal).
Also it have really nice speeds when handling compressed files like jpegs and music (wich is what I am going to do most).
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the original question a little. Hope to hear your suggestions
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interresting i haven't looked into ssd tech for a while i remember first generation sad tech could only be written to 1,000 times before it became unstable now with new memory and anti fail features in most ssd drives the sky's the limit as it where also so is your pocket book.

just remember these things when choosing a ssd drive

1. is it compatible with macintosh check the system requirements

2. is it large enough for what you need

3. remember cheaper is not always better verify the online store with the bbb.org because you might find the company is bogus like auctionsrus which was located in the middle of a redwood forest check everything.

you should be ok most ssd drives hold up now pretty nice
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:

1. is it compatible with macintosh check the system requirements

Yes, those I have looked at is.

macmanmacman wrote:

2. is it large enough for what you need .

I'm aiming for a RAID0 configuration of 220GB and up. Rest is on external storage

macmanmacman wrote:

3. remember cheaper is not always better verify the online store with the bbb.org because you might find the company is bogus like auctionsrus which was located in the middle of a redwood forest check everything.

I will never buy anything as important as storage from sellers I can't verify and from brands I can't read reviews about.

Anyone else with an oppinion on what to choose?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well see there you go you did your research....

go out and purchase your drive and have fun with your mac mini ssd
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone else have a suggestion?
saul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few comments:

Why RAID 0 for a server? You then have twice the chance of going down for drive failure. And if your data is on external drives why do you need the internal performance?

SandForce controllers have had some major issues due to buggy firmware.

Also, some SSDs are not recommended for RAID 0 so make sure to check that.
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saul wrote:
A few comments:

Why RAID 0 for a server? You then have twice the chance of going down for drive failure. And if your data is on external drives why do you need the internal performance?

SandForce controllers have had some major issues due to buggy firmware.

Also, some SSDs are not recommended for RAID 0 so make sure to check that.

I'm upgrading from a server mm I used as a regular mm, bought it because it had a stronger cpu and two drives, didnt need the optical drive.
I have now sold it and ordered the regular mm 2011 build to order core duo i7, strongest mm today.

So am not using it to serve anything. Im using it to photo edit, video edit, play movies, music and games - a mixed machine for work and fun.
The speed increse in raid have beeb important to heavy photo editing were it really speeds up renders and effects. Finished files is saved on external storage, so dont have the need for huge memory.

Late 2010 ssds with sandforce should all be next devices with hugely improved fw.
Also, specificaly two of the drives im looking at is specially good in raid, acording to both manufactor but also tests.
Intel 520 or Corsair Performance Pro.
saul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is not a server then RAID 0 can make sense for speed but make sure you have time machine backups running. For SSD drives there are a lot of reports of early death.

Since TRIM doesn't work with RAID therefore SandForce with built in garbage collection makes sense. All three of the drives you list have it so the thing to look at is price, warranty and support.

I have the SandForce powered OWC Pro6G from 2011 and sleep would cause lock ups until last month when the latest firmware upgrade came out. Hopefully that's the last of the major bugs.
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saul wrote:

Since TRIM doesn't work with RAID therefore SandForce with built in garbage collection makes sense. All three of the drives you list have it so the thing to look at is price, warranty and support.

I have both monthly image backup and tm running. So no worries.
The Corsair is Marvel based, not sandforce - its a little more expensive, given a little bigger memory (256 gb cost about same as 240 gb intel 520 here) but have extremely good speeds for working with compressed data, wich i do mostly...
Anyone have it too and what do you think?
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a really nice article/test about the Intel 520 in RAID0:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/51455-intel-520-240gb-ssd-raid-0-performance-review.html

Still have a week before my new machine arrived, but after reading this i think i settled for the intels in 180 or 240, wich ever is the best deal here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: