123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not sure if it goe here but I'll see

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Not sure if it goe here but I'll see Reply with quote

I'm looking for something to get into doing something to play around with and have been looking at single board computer ideas, in particular there is the Raspberry Pi, CuBox, and Trim-Slice. Raspberry Pi is the most basic and costs $25-$35 and is more for learning basics, it has 256MB RAM, 700MHz CPU, some USB ports and and SD card slot for storage I may end up buying one regardless due to price. CuBox is more advanced with HDMI, Gigabit Eathernet, 1GB DDR3 RAM, 800MHz ARM CPU, microSDHC card slot for OS (comes with 2GB micro SDHC preloaded with Ubuntu) and an eSATA port all at $135 right now, it seems a popular choice for playing with streaming, file server with an external HDD as it is more capable of doing 1080p. The last one that I've looked at is the Trim-Slice, this is the most costly at $249-$276 for the two I'm interested in, it uses Tegra 2, it has Gigabit, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 1GHz dual core CPU, single or dual HDMI (depends on model) comes with USB dongle for Wi-Fi 802.11n though I feel I'll be trying to make my own work, it has a micro SDHC and full size SDHC card slot so you can have one be system (comes with 4GB micro SDHC preloaded with Ubuntu). Right now just looking at this, and will probably wait until summer to do much with this idea though it would be fun to mess with in my free time.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they do make micro computers i have seen only one carrier of them though which is fry's electronics they run about 249.99 u.s and sit vertical the system specs veryied from system to system with the same processor though a dual core atom 1 gig of ram 350 gig hard drive running ubuntu
caulktel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the money the Raspberry Pi is the best deal out there and will have a case available any day now. It also has HDMI out. I ordered one on release day and can't wait till it gets here. So far three distro's are available, Fedora, Debian, Arch, and Android will soon be ported over also.
iPhone 4S 16GB
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
they do make micro computers i have seen only one carrier of them though which is fry's electronics they run about 249.99 u.s and sit vertical the system specs veryied from system to system with the same processor though a dual core atom 1 gig of ram 350 gig hard drive running ubuntu

I know about those, I've played with mini-ITX a lot already through helping other people and working on old home servers. I'm not wanting anything x86, I'm wanting to try the ultra low power consumption ARM stuff, the max power spec Trim-Slice is only 6 watts, no mini-ITX can get close to that unless it's running very low spec x86 which is hard to compare to ARM as they are two very different platforms.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thought I might update my post for anyone who was curious. As of March 12 I placed my pre-order for a Raspberry Pi, to date it is expected to ship April 10, just in time to distract me form studying for finals Wink . I will most likely post more about it when I get it and play around with it some.
Also,Trim-Slice seems to have very slow development and a small community that is mostly professionals so I am going to avoid it for now, but the idea certainly has the most potential if they could get it to run Android 4.0 or some form Linux for ARM with high compatibility. Anyone interested in the CuBox, I've more or less abandoned it as well since I actually have a Raspberry Pi ordered, but it is a great looking solution for those not wanting to play with the hardware so it may be a project for sometime before the end of the year.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, anyone who has been following the Raspberry Pi probably knows they hit a delay for compliance testing but are now shipping, I should get mine before the end of June so I'll have it int time to distract me from Summer classes instead. In other, related news though I was accepted for the Trim-Slice dev-kit offer so right now I'm looking at funds to see if I can get money for it, though I should have some spare "fun (gun) money" stashed away that should be enough to cover it.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update post, I ended up getting a Trim-Slice Pro on developer pricing, for now just playing around with it, but I could see it as a sort of desktop replacement when I'm not looking to do any real heavy work, though it needs flash and possibly Skype to be overly useful.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: