123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone tried Windows 8 Preview yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluenose

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Anyone tried Windows 8 Preview yet? Reply with quote

Anyone tried this - I followed the instructions on OSX Daily and installed it with Virtual Box - runs fine - but the interface sucks (and I am a long time windows user) - seems to be aimed at tablet users - seriously unimpressed!!!!!!!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed it yesterday on my peecee.

I kinda don't see any point to the Metro interface for me. All the apps that I use will not be Metro (have to be sold through MS App store), so everything that I do, I do through the Windows7 interface. But to get to the Start menu stuff(or system tools), I have to go to the Metro interface.

Then when I was done goofing around, I wanted to shut down.

Hmmm. I had to look up, how to shut it down, on the internet 'cuz it's completely unintuitive and doesn't seem to be doable from the Windows7 interface. Why do I need to mouse to the right, get the system menus, click on the 'gear' then select the power, then select Shut down? All that just to turn the damn thing off!

I'm gonna monkey around with it some more as more CPU features are available than are available in Win7. So if Handbrake transcodes faster, then I'll go with Win8's 'classic' interface.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might have some issues but not much you need the windows 7 driver disk from bootcamp because the windows 8 drivers although they install they won't connected to the internet somethings different in the drivers after that you should have no problems remember to install the drivers you have to right click on the apple driver installer and select properties and compatibility and select run in windows 7 also the older xp drivers for snow leopard work as well with the same properties just make sure you select windows xp under compatibility mode
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Shocked

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know a lot of stuff to take into account

i didn't mind being able to see the o.s i didn't like the os being tied to windows live id and worse no serial numbers there built into windows 8 to prevent piracy
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a basic Start menu with this free(with an email address) app -

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

SC

Make sure it has pins!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't use star dock it runs in the background and is always communicating with the internet so you have no idea what it is sending to and from windows 8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: