123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Holding Media Event on March 7th
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Apple Holding Media Event on March 7th Reply with quote

Apple Holding Media Event on March 7th
Tuesday, February 28, 2012 EST
Posted by: Staff

Apple sent out invitations today for a special media event to be held on Wednesday, March 7th at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, California. The event is scheduled to begin at 10:00 AM Pacific Time / 1:00 PM Eastern Time. The invitations for the event simply read, "We have something you really have to see. And touch." It's widely expected that Apple will announce the iPad 3 and an updated Apple TV at this event.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1789.html
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read they will be thicker which seems odd but ok I guess. Actually the most important thing to me would be a lighter iPad. The iPad 2 is fine by me I just wish it were lighter. If this new one is thicker I hope it's not heavier.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to the new iPad. I just want to hear about battery life. Adding a quad-core chip, retina display and 4G is sure to put a strain on things. I'm also hoping they keep the same price points. Android tablets are starting to become a little more interesting to me. Not as far as specs, but freedom. The iPad is by far the best piece of tablet hardware out there. At least in my book.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me a higher resolution display is the main thing.
When the iPad 1st came out, I thought the display was pretty good, but if you compare it to the iPhone 4/4S, there is a huge difference when it comes to reading smaller point text. The iPhone spanks the iPad.

Being I primarily use the iPad for web surfing, magazines etc. and the iPad is usually held 1.5 feet from my face, so this is important to me. I often find myself blowing up the text a tad, just to get the clarity, when I would prefer to read it at it's native size if it were clear.

The A5 in the iPad 2 is just starting to get utilized. The new Photoshop app is the first app that I know of that "requires" an A5. So a faster chip is really little benefit at this time.

Anyhow, it will be interesting to see what happens. Up until now everything has been just rumours. It's nice to finally see something official from Apple.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see the hi-res display in person. I may upgrade later in the spring. That being said, it's probably going to be hard to get anything out of my iPad 2. I have a feeling that Apple is going to keep the 16GB model around at a lower price. Like in the $299-399 range.
iLife's a Bitch!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't be a buyer, but I hope the iPad 3 feels more solid. I thought the iPad 2 felt cheap in comparison to our original iPad. Especially when it comes to the front glass panel. You can't even depress the glass our original, but you can distort the LCD on the iPad 2 by pressing down with a little force. Has anyone else ever noticed that? I think that would drive me crazy with a touch-based device. It can't be good for the screen either.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never noticed the difference in build quality between the 1 and the 2. I have the 1. I'll squish a 2 at work tomorrow.

g5g5 which iPad 2 model do you have?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
g5g5 which iPad 2 model do you have?

The base 16GB Wi-Fi model in black. I almost bought an iPad 1 for some of the reasons that Devo mentioned though. It does feel more sturdy in your hands. I also thought it had somewhat better audio quality going through the speaker. In fact, I was going to get the 32GB model with Wi-Fi + 3G for like $499 from MacMall. Then I got thinking about having the dual core processor and thought that it would be more future proof. I'm sure that Apple will bump up the requirements for iOS at some point. It would also nice having the cameras, even though they are far from being spectacular in the quality department.
iLife's a Bitch!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is you bought the least expensive model. An iPad no matter which model will always have some value. The higher end models take more of a depreciation hit.

My store takes trade ins. We pay $250 for that model and sell it for $350.

Who knows what will happen when the 3 comes out... but you should always be able to get $200 for an iPad, no matter which model it is. Even a 16GB iPad 1.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my 16GB first generation iPad on Craigslist a couple weeks ago for $300. That was before the iPad 3 news hit though.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I never noticed the difference in build quality between the 1 and the 2. I have the 1. I'll squish a 2 at work tomorrow.

What did you think?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

What did you think?

I forgot to check. I'll just sent myself an email reminder. I'll test it tomorrow.

We took a lot of iPad 1 and 2's in on trade today. The people that were trading in the iPad 1 were actually purchasing iPad 2's.

I'm not sure what the iPad 2 people purchased.

I even sold a lot of new iPad 2's this week. Even though I told people that they may want to wait, a lot of people don't care.

Believe me the real world isn't as closely related to the internet world as many of us on the forums think it is.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have passed on the Apple TV so many times. I think an upgrade to 1080p video playback would finally have me buying one though. I'm also interested in AirPlay for our iPads and the desktop mirroring in Mountain Lion. As for the iPad 3, we'll probably skip on this generation. Even though it's shaping up to be quite the release. I mean, if all of the rumors out there are accurate.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested the iPad 2 vs. the iPad 1 screen today. The iPad 1 screen is definitely more rigid. You don't have to press too hard on an iPad 2 display to make the liquid crystals distort. You have to press pretty darn hard on an iPad 1 display to do the same thing.

That being said, I think this is a non issue fore most people, under normal use. Unless someone stepped on an iPad I see no need for a higher build quality than the 2 currently offers.

I never knew there was a difference until I did the squish test today.

I look at this test like someone taking their keys to the laminate flooring displayed at Costco. Don't do that and you will be fine Smile
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be fun next week. I'm more excited about the iPad 3 than any other hardware release in a long time.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: