123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub [Updated Pictures]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub [Updated Pictures] Reply with quote

LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub
Wednesday January 4, 2005

LaCie has announced the release of the LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub for Mac mini. Specially designed to stack perfectly with your Apple Mac mini, this companion hard drive helps you store more music, photos, videos, and more. It also allows you to connect all of your hardware peripherals at once with Hi-Speed USB 2.0, FireWire, and multiple hub ports. The hub includes 2 FireWire 400 ports and 4 Hi-Speed USB 2.0 ports. The LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub was engineered to allow for a natural cooling airflow to move between itself and Mac mini, which keeps both drives cool and safe while in operating mode. The crown is an important element that prevents the drives from directly touching, thus avoiding the danger of overheating.

"More and more people are using their Mac minis as a media center device in the living room," says Olivier Mirloup, LaCie Senior Product Manager. "Our LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub is a perfect way to expand your multimedia collection for playback on a regular TV set through the Mac mini's DVI out. Therefore the Mac mini/LaCie mini combo can become a handy library of home movies, music and images available right in your living room?all in a stylish, matching set. And you can continue to stack additional LaCie mini hard drives underneath to add more storage when you need it."

The LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub is available for pre-order now and will ship in mid February 2006. We should have a full review soon!

Features
- All-in-one storage solution: a hard drive and hub
- Add up to 500GB storage to the Apple Mac mini
- Hard drive has (1) FireWire 400 and (1) Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port
- Hub has (2) FireWire 400 and (4) Hi-Speed USB 2.0
- Perfect fit underneath Mac mini with identical brushed aluminum design
- Stackable for adding more capacity when needed
- Unique four-cornered crown for natural heat dissipation
- Ultra-quiet operation, just plug-and-play
- Comes with LaCie Backup Software

Models
- LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub 250GB $199.99
- LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub 300GB $229.99
- LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub 400GB $369.99
- LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub 500GB $429.99

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/415.html

Last edited by admin on Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:52 pm; edited 5 times in total
Noetic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they'll discontinue their LaCie mini? It's nice that they added the hub but I wonder about the added heat. I just might decide to add it to mine. Smile

• 1.42 mini (1GB) 120GB HD OSX 10.5.1
• 1.33 12" PB (1.3GB) 60GB HD OSX 10.5.1
• 500mhz Mac Cube (768MB) 120GB HD OSX 10.4.11
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go LaCie. It's nice to see a company respond to consumer request!!!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Way to go LaCie. It's nice to see a company respond to consumer request!!!

Agreed. I always like the looks of the LaCie mini and almost bought one instead of the miniStack. It's good to see they listened to consumers and added more ports.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ports on the sides are a cool idea. It might help reduce some cable clutter in the rear. I'll probably buy one of these along with the Intel mini next week.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
I think the ports on the sides are a cool idea. It might help reduce some cable clutter in the rear. I'll probably buy one of these along with the Intel mini next week.

I still don't understand why one of these companies won't make a Mac mini drive with front ports. This new one could look a little goofy with a bunch of cables connected to the sides all the time. JMHO
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGN wrote:
Weee wrote:

I still don't understand why one of these companies won't make a Mac mini drive with front ports. This new one could look a little goofy with a bunch of cables connected to the sides all the time. JMHO

The idea is to use temporary devices ie. digital camera.
Don't worry someone will make an ugly one soon.
Kozak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they going to be for sale at the Apple Store soon? I just wish LaCie would sale model without a hard drive. Other than that it looks great.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kozak wrote:
I just wish LaCie would sell a model without a hard drive.

Agreed. Even if they have to overcharge for the case to compensate for the lost margin from no hard drive sale.
Kozak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Kozak wrote:
I just wish LaCie would sell a model without a hard drive.

Agreed. Even if they have to overcharge for the case to compensate for the lost margin from no hard drive sale.

I don't necessarily think Lacie is overcharging for the drive. I would just like the option of using my own drive and not having to spend as much money. I have an extra 160GB drive from a dual-boot Linux box looking for a new home. The only desired part for me is the Lacie mini enclosure itself. I might pick up the 250GB model if they look good in person. I would like some extra storage for GarageBand and more USB ports for my Keystation 49e and iPod.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

It could look messy if you have a bunch of static connections. I thought putting the USB and firewire ports on either side of the case was a good idea though. It should help finding an open port for those "temporary devices" a little easier. Instead of having them bunched together.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGN wrote:
This new one could look a little goofy with a bunch of cables connected to the sides all the time. JMHO

You're not the only one disliking this idea. Sure, ports on the back would make more clutter, but at least it's all in the back (not much difference in clutter with 7 wires or 13...)
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

It would be better to have front ports for temporary devices. The PowerMac G5 doesn't have side ports, does it? Wink
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sort of sad/funny given the stance of the LaCie person on these forums when their drive-only unit came out. They got pretty defensive iirc about the choices they made and why they made them at the time re: not including a hub. You guys can applaud LaCie for introducing this new product all you want, but given what they said back then, the only reason they came out with this is because the initial product didn't meet sales expectations.

They, or you, may chime in about diversifying the product line, yada yada, but I won't buy that line of argument at all.

TM
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have a Belkin hub that fits my Mini perfectly, and it has USB/FW ports on the back and front...

I am going to be in the market for an external hard drive enclosure and HD very soon and I want one that fits the Mini perfectly. This one looks good, but I am definitely not a fan of having the connections on the side vs the front and back. From what I can see the LaCie has only one rear USB port and no FW in the back?

Also, does anybody know what brand of hard drives LaCie uses in these?

Thanks..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: