123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading to SSD and temperature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capitrueno

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Upgrading to SSD and temperature Reply with quote

Hello there!

I have my good old Mac Mini set up as a media center in my living room. It's an old Core Duo 1.83 Mac Mini from 2007 that I upgraded over the years to a Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, with 2 Gb RAM, 360 Gb Hard Drive and 802.11n connectivity. It is serving me well.

However, in the last year the temperature has become a real problem. Whenever I run Plex the fan increases speed to over 4500-5000 rpm and if I stream FullHD over the WiFi, it gets too hot and begins malfunctioning. It usually disconnect the WiFi off and if I insist, it turns off. I've tried to blow the vents with canned air sprays, but it just won't work. I've even replaced thermal paste in the heat sink.

I had thought that a SSD drive might be the solution. They're supposed to generate less heat than mechanic drives, so it could be an improvement, not only in terms of speed, but of temperature.

Would it be worth? Should I just be giving up my good old mac mini?

Thanks in advance!
saul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A normal HDD only generates about 3 watts so won't make much difference. If it is malfunctioning when it is hot then you more likely have a flaky CPU. Maybe bad or too much thermal compound?
MJL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily the cpu, other parts e.g. memory can also be affected by the heat. The question is though what is causing the extra heat? Is it that the CPU is working at higher % (newer software that is more demanding?) or is it that the CPU does not get cooled properly. Not all thermal compound is the same. Some need to be applied very sparingly yet some others do not care if it has been applied liberally.

I recently applied on my 2011 Mac mini some Tuniq T4 and am happy with its performance - have done some IBM Thinkpads in the past where I used Arctic Silver but that would not have worked in my case because of the bad fit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: