123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini mounted in a Sonnet Rackmac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Mac Mini mounted in a Sonnet Rackmac Mini Reply with quote

I have the Rackmac Mini from Sonnet Tech and a Mac Mini Server 2010 with upgraded hard drives, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 500GB.

The problem is, that after I just mounted the whole thing in the rack mounts under my office desk, the desk have started to vibrate.
Not enough to feel, but certainly enough to hear - and its driving me nuts!

Is there any way its possible to rack mount the Rackmac on some sort of shock mounts?

...or should I just trough in a pair of SSDs instead?
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting device. I remember back in the 70s i built a DJ booth, i cut larger holes then the turntables and added bicycle inner tubes that the turntables rested on.

This worked it absorbed the shock of people hitting the booth.
Maybe some rubber washes where its bolted to your desk will absorb the vibration.

Good Luck!
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried with rubber washers between on both sides of the rackmac, so the screws are now always fixed even when I screw the rack out (if that makes any sense).

It kind of worked, the buzz is now lower in tone, not annoying in the daytime but at night when there are not much other noise around its still very annoying...

Anyone have other ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: