123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VGA good but no DVI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reynographer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: VGA good but no DVI Reply with quote

I have a mid-2007 mini (2.0 GHz C2D/4G RAM/SSD and 10.6.8). I recently changed my home entertainment setup and wanted to plug the Mini into my television going from the DVI output of the mini to an HDMI input on the TV. Up 'til now, it's only been used with the DVI to VGA adapter to the PC in on the TV. When I plugged in the DVI-HDMI cable I got nothing. After trying several different monitors with both DVI and VGA inputs, still the same symptoms. I've reset PRAM, PMU, booted into single user and safe mode, reloaded the OS and tried the DVI-HDMI with my MBP and MBA.

What else can I try before I declare the digital output of the mini dead?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not that the mini especially that model remembers your video settings and when you had it connected to dvi it was set to dvi which on tv's can max out at 1440x900 if you had the mini set for lets say 60 hz and your tv doesn't support 60hz you will get no video signal at all because it is a unsupported resolution.

there is a fix however connect the mini up to a monitor that supports your resolution set the monitor to 640 x 480 i know it sounds weird then shut down the mini and try again if the tv supports low resolution and high resolution you should get a image on your screen i had to do this to get a powermac g5 to work with a samsung tv it was the only way to reset monitor settings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: