123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple and Condition of Chinese Workers...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you boycott Apple?
Yes - why, and until when?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No - is it because other tech companies do the same?
62%
 62%  [ 10 ]
Maybe - if Apple takes no steps to improving conditions.
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Other - explain...
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Apple and Condition of Chinese Workers... Reply with quote

News and technology outlets have not been very soft with Apple lately, mainly because of poor worker conditions in China.

It does bother me that Apple didn't resolve this quicker, but I don't plan on boycotting.

What do others think?
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Time with Bill Maher took on the issue last night. I have mixed feeling about the subject. At least when it comes to boycotting. I do think that Apple needs to be open and get things under control. I mean, this isn't something you just sweep under the carpet. It's a human rights issue at heart.

An argument can also be made to make some of this in the US. You have a 100 billion in cash. It's not like Apple can't take a hit on profit margins. Plus, it would be good for their image. That being said, at least they appear to be keeping their call centers in the US.

So, my vote ends up being maybe. I think Apple can do a better job here. Companies like Nike (here in Oregon) took on the issue and are doing a better job now.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose other. I would have chosen no, but I prefer to state my own reason.

Nobody is forcing the workers to go to work at any of the factories in China. China's unemployment rate is 6%. These people have a choice. Some countries have over 90% unemployment.

It should be up to the Chinese government to protect their people if there is an issue.

I can't count how many times I've put in 30+ hour shifts in the Alberta oilfields. There is no law in place that says this cannot take place. My province (one of the richest areas in the world) has just over 3.7 million people. We have over 500 suicides per year.
Perhaps this is because we work so hard Smile but hey, nobody is forcing us.

The media is simply making something out of nothing. Foxxconn has over 1,000,000 employees. Of course there will be issues. 18 attempts with 15 suicides is actually a relatively low number.

Apple is where the media is focused today. That's all there is to it. Two years ago we couldn't go a day without hearing about another earthquake in the news. Did they stop or did the media just stop covering it. I think we all know the answer.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as long as they have nets. Twisted Evil

I'm just kidding around.

I mean, can the employees quit and go their own way? If so, I don't really care. Long work shifts don't necessarily mean poor working conditions either. I've worked over 24 hours straight before. Like Bandit, I think the media is just looking for a story here. Therefore, a big no for me.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I won't boycott Apple because of Foxconn. That Apple doesn't have anything I want to buy makes that moot point though. Wink

Otherwise, boycott Apple. What good is it going to do? Foxconn is not an Apple company, they build things for bunches of companies.

Or to quote Stephen Fry - "Kindle, Apple, PSP 3, Xbox,Nokia, Samsung, Wii, IBM, Intel, MS all made at Foxconn. Apple takes the flak but only Apple truly addressing it."

Greenpeace made a point of picking on Apple rather than all the other companies that did whatever Apple did.

I agree that this is a human rights issue at heart, but that is my western heart. The Chinese heart is different, and if you have followed any of the attempts over the last few decades to get China to start following western 'sensibilities' you will know that the Chinese heart and western hearts have different values. I'm not saying that either is better, it's just a fact of life.

If you want to get Foxconn to change it's ways, boycott every company that uses Foxconn parts, not just one company that uses their parts.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
epic_ed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not from Apple, but I will continue to boycott them from Microsoft. Razz
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxconn isn't Apple, but they could pressure them to make working conditions better. It's just the right thing to do.

Not in the market for anything, but no on the boycott.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article posted at /. highlight -

Quote:
"Labor Activist Li Qiang wants you to know that the iPhone 4 in his pocket is not an endorsement of Apple's policies, just an acknowledgment that the company is doing a better job of monitoring factory conditions than its peers. The founder of leading advocacy group China Labor Watch (CLW) told us that, though the Cupertino company does more-thorough inspections than competitors, it is responsible for poor working conditions at its suppliers' factories and needs to invest some of its record-breaking profits in improving them. 'Although I know that the iPhone 4 is made at sweat shop factories in China, I still think that this is the only choice, because Apple is actually one of the best. Actually before I made a decision, I compared Apple with other cell phone companies, such as Nokia,' he said through a translator. 'And the conditions in those factories are worse than the ones of Apple.'"

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/12/02/08/211225/labor-activist-apple-may-be-terrible-but-all-others-are-worse

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Article posted at /. highlight -
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/12/02/08/211225/labor-activist-apple-may-be-terrible-but-all-others-are-worse

SC

I was just thinking the same thing the other day when reading this thread. Foxconn might be bad, but I bet they are far from being the worse. Could Apple do better with Foxconn? Probably, but they seem to be pushing them in the right direction. At least there appears to be acknowledgement of the problem, which also seems to be deeply culturally rooted. If that makes any sense. Laughing
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have to remember Apple and Foxconn have been together for a long time! I wouldn't doubt that my IIci was built by Foxconn.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These sorts of protest do nothing but tick me off. They always seem to target the big companies and don't bother to tell the whole story. Back when Nike was a target and now Apple I did the same thing, I went shopping. Picked up a new iPad cover as my way of voting with my small pocketbook.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: