123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a good KVM switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkt5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Looking for a good KVM switch Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a good KVM switch that does DVI and USB? I have a Dell PC with a Radeon 9600xt and want to hook it up with my mini. I want to use the DVI connection, USB keyboard and mouse on both. My Mini is to ship on or before 2-15. Very Happy
idave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at this Belkin

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201729&pcount=&Product_Id=146401

I've had good luck with Belkin KVM's in the past. I don't own this model but it does everything you ask. Make sure you have good cables for the best performance. Cheap cables can cause interference and degrade your picture.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
andp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Iogear. For people wanting a VGA KVM.

IOGEAR 2 PORT PERIPHERAL SWITCH KIT GCS1732
http://iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS1732
bkt5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
Look at this Belkin

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201729&pcount=&Product_Id=146401

I've had good luck with Belkin KVM's in the past. I don't own this model but it does everything you ask. Make sure you have good cables for the best performance. Cheap cables can cause interference and degrade your picture.

Thanks for the info and link!

Last edited by bkt5 on Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
bkt5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andp wrote:
I would recommend Iogear. For people wanting a VGA KVM.

IOGEAR 2 PORT PERIPHERAL SWITCH KIT GCS1732
http://iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS1732
I was really looking for a DVI KVM. Iogear make nice stuff though. Maybe that will help someone out who is looking for a VGA KVM.
rob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the Belkin F1DD102U and can tell you its a good KVM. You would never know the difference of having your computer hooked straight up to the monitor or being hooked up through the KVM. I'm running it between my mini and a compaq at 1280x1024 and its great.
James T. Kirkę

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
Look at this Belkin

cut.

Man, this one is way overpriced! Confused I saw a mini-switch + sound as well for $ 79,98 or something with welded-on cables and even I think this kinda steep.
~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
bomalley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
Look at this Belkin

I've got that Belking KVM, and I'm not sure I would recommend it.

For one thing, it's small. It's very tough to get all of the cables into that tight space -- especially the DVI cables. The standard DVI cable that came with my Dell LCD wouldn't fit. I had to buy a new cable just to fit into this KVM.

Also, I've got a little screen corruption when I use the kvm. Not a ton, but a bit.

Lastly, I had to send mine back to Belkin to get the firmware flashed because it just flaked out one day.

Unfortunately, there aren't many other choices. The Belkin is expensive, but it's one of the few I found with USB and DVI that wasn't $1,000. Sad
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've got that Belking KVM, and I'm not sure I would recommend it.

For one thing, it's small. It's very tough to get all of the cables into that tight space -- especially the DVI cables. The standard DVI cable that came with my Dell LCD wouldn't fit. I had to buy a new cable just to fit into this KVM.

Are there any other models that handle DVI under $200?
GadgetFan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this Addlogix DVI USB KVI with my mini. It works great. About $190 and comes with cables. (I didn't buy it from neutronexpress but they seem to be cheapest vendor.)

http://www.neutronexpress.com/prod.cfm/322180/ADDLOGIX/KVM-201DVU

I tried the $140 one at Newegg and had to return it. Worked out of the box but was finicky, and once it gets confused you need to unplug EVERYTHING and let it all cool down and re-plug. A pain. (Newegg was great about the return.)

I have heard lots of pain on boards from those trying to use Belkin's DVI KVM, but haven't tried it myself.

Hope this helps.

--Suzanne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: