123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.33 gHz upgraded mini --> can't install Lion...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My inlaws have one of my old minis that I upgraded from a Core Solo to a 2.0Ghz Core2Duo. Looking forward to seeing if this will work for them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gb.macmillen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: WoohoO Reply with quote

Was able to rename the plist file and it is up and running doing an update unfortunately after the rename I wasn't able to do any of the steps he recommended in vi but it's working
Gb.macmillen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Ah ha Reply with quote

Found plist under downloads through finder on the desktop, and added the mobo then went into terminal and started at the point I laft off cause I couldn't get the rest of the code to work and at cd ~downloads and vi platform support.plist it opened and my change was already made, so just to make sure I hit:w to write and :q to quit vi terminal still says MacBook though meh, it's workin just migrating now and I realized I had to do a few things to enable root user and it was all a fresh install of lion from a thumb drive which is good to know as soon as migration is done I'll do a new back up I'm just wondering about the hidden restore partition and what will happen there???
controsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

recent i install lion in a mac mini core duo 1.66 and up the registraron number for this machine to the .plist line exactly body say here

Result.......on startup

this machine no suport macos lion only work in core II duo system

question:

If delete the plist file vía firewire target can work the mac mini
core duo 1.6?

thanks for you suport

controsol
Fred76

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intel 1,1 Mac Minis with a C2D processor AND 2GB of RAM support Lion, why is this questioned over and over again?

Just delete the PlatformSupport.plist file through any of the described methods and it WILL work.
Get used to the procedure, because it appears every major os x patch puts the file back in place so you can't boot anymore after certain software updates.
Perhaps someone could write a bootable CD with a script that removes this file?

64-bit code will fail to run on a Core Duo 1.66 (which is a 32-bit CPU), that includes basic stuff like finder.
Denon AVR-3312 with Airplay
pgershon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note. I have an older upgraded mac mini and I got it to run Lion fine (using firewire boot-up and then renaming the PlatformSupport.plist file). Only problem I had was after installing the Combo update from 7.0 to 7.2, the PlatformSupport.plist file came back and I needed to run the firewire boot-up again to fix. As I am giving this machine to my 10 year old nephew, I hope this is not a recurring problem on system updates.
TheHumphries

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Lion Upgrade Reply with quote

Hey Guys (LONG TIME)
I just upgraded my CD 1.83 mac mini to a 2.0 C2D.

i did the FW boot, then install lion from another system. Edited the plist, then I did install the App Store's Lion which was 10.7.2. Worked like a charm. No issues.

BIG NOTE: I did do the install from Leopard, not Snow Leopard. I edited the software version (can't find the link, but when I do I will edit and add). All works great. Users are working fine, no errors.
27" Core i7 16BG Mac Mini
13" Macbook Air
MGLGC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks gdunlapsd!!
This worked like a charm for my Mac mini (late 2006)!!
therock11

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the instructions for actually doing the upgrade to Lion and can it be done without another Mac available.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link on the first page of this thread has instructions.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Kaitain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Working fine for me Reply with quote

gdunlapsd wrote:
The file in that directory is called PlatformSupport.plist. It's been recommended to remove it, but I simply renamed it via this command:

I've been using this trick for several months (I installed Lion successfully on an upgraded Solo->C2D about six months ago, but needed to reinstall on one occasion, and then every Lion update requires a repeat of this).

But today, I accidentally messed things up in a way that this method does not fix any more. Specifically, I was playing around with iCloud's ability to lock a computer remotely. I locked my Mini, then unlocked it later, and now...Lion will not boot. No entry sign. Tried the old PlatformSupport.plist trick...didn't work. The locking and/or unlocking appears to have done something else. (The PlatformSupport file was not in fact regenerated; something else is preventing Lion from running.)

I am now worried that the remote setting of a firmware password has done something to screw things up permanently. This would NOT leave me very happy, needless to say...

If anyone has any advice, it would be very welcome.

In the meantime, I would advise against using remote lock or setting a firmware password on an old mini upon which you wanted to run Lion. (Out of interest, I can still run Leopard on it; haven't tried SL yet.)

Oh, also of possible interest: the Mini will no longer enter firewire target mode.

Edit: firewire target mode was disabled because the firmware password was still active. I disabled it and can now enter FT mode. But I still can't get into Lion. Even a fresh install (with altered PlatformSupport.dlist) on an external drive does not start.

Trying Snow Leopard now. And may try a reinstall of firmware after that.

Update five hours later:

Snow Leopard worked. However, I also found the problem. Probably should have tried this earlier in the evening: I needed to reset the PRAM. Everything is fine now. My Lion drive boots happily.

Take-home message: do NOT put a firmware password on one of these sneakily-upgraded Mini1,1s. Certainly don't use iCloud's remote lock. If you do manage to shoot yourself in the foot for no good reason, use an install disk to remove the firmware password, and then reset the PRAM.
evilcalvin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Works perfectly - a slight mod that may help in the futu Reply with quote

Marcsf wrote:
I have waited for a long time to upgrade my Mac Mini early 2006 from it's Core Duo processor until recently due to T7xxx prices and a lot of other things on my plate. When OS X Lion came out and my place cleared up a bit, I bought a T7600 CPU and a Seagate Momentus XT STAN500100 500 GB 7200 rpm 32 MB Cache 4 GB SD hybrid drive. The upgrade went well but was tedious as everyone probably knows - Macs are engineered down to the millimeter in clearances. I followed two sites (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/mac_mini_core_2_duo_swaps.html) and (http://www.o0o.it/mini/) which were very helpful.

After the upgrade, I made the mistake of restoring my Mini from the last backup - BIG MESS. The problem is that the new CPU requires different libraries from the old configuration. It wouldn't boot after the restore. So, I started from Snow Leopard and then played around with trying to get to a OS Lion supported upgrade version. That's when I found out about the strict hardware checking on Lion. Even though I had a 64-bit CPU and plenty of space with 2 Gb RAM, Lion still gave me the dreaded "OS X Lion cannot be installed on this computer" That's when I started digging and tried several things. Finally, I found this site and this thread. This actually worked fine. I followed the steps exactly as outlines EXCEPT I looked at the "PlatformSupport.plist" file to see why it might be excluding my Mac Mini (model name "Macmini1,1"). What I found was an array of support hardware BOARDS - not model names. So, I went searching for the hardware board ID of my "Macmini1,1" (my guess is this is probably available at the single user prompt but I didn't know how to get it). I found a site (http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/forum/t-124597/smios-patching-using-dmi-edit) for hacking installs and fooling them to install on other hardware. There was my Mac Mini board ID ("Mac-F4208EC8"). So, I did the following in terminal:

cd /System/Library/CoreServices
cp PlatformSupport.plist ~/Downloads
mv PlatformSupport.plist PlatformSupport-dist.plist
cd ~/Downloads
vi PlatformSupport.plist
- inside vi, (if you know vi then this won't be tough at all) I went to the line just after <array> and hit capital "P" for put a new line above the current line. I then put in a new entry that was
"<string>Mac-F4208EC8</string>"
and hit :w to write out the file and :q to exit vi

Then, back in terminal I did
cd /System/Library/CoreServices
cp ~/Downloads/PlatformSupport.plist

I then ejected the target drive and rebooted the Mini. It booted up just fine with the new board ID which was the ID of the "Macmini1,1" board that I had.

Software update ran fine and migration assistant ran fine.

I now have a Mac Mini early 2006 with a blazing 64-bit T7600 CPU and 500 Gb SDD drive that rocks on OS X Lion.

Thank you very very much Jiggz!

MarcSF

MarcSF,

If you had not restored once your processor upgrade was complete, do you think you would have had any problems?

Starting fresh, what would you have done differently?

Any suggestions to make my upgrade easier?

I just replaced my CoreDuo with the new late 2012 mini and have a T7200 waiting to be installed in the 2006 CoreDuo.

Thanks,

C
Martin555

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Martin555 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
hamishb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Working fine for me Reply with quote

gdunlapsd wrote:
Then on the MBP I installed Lion to the Mini's mounted drive from the Release version of the installer I had purchased from the App Store.

To be clear does this mean you ran the Lion installer on your MBP, and then chose to install it on the mini, connected via Firewire target mode?

I tried to do the same on my Mac Pro, running Mountain Lion. Which it didn't like.

Maybe I should try putting Lion on a USB stick, and then boot from the USB stick whilst holding down the "Option" button.

Thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: