123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVD copy 2012 style
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: DVD copy 2012 style Reply with quote

Newbie sounding question, but I was just wondering what you guys are using these days for copying DVDs? I've been using DVDFab in Boot Camp for the longest time, but would like a good freebie on the Mac side. I've just lost touch of the apps that are out there. I know DVDFab has a new freebie for Mac, but it doesn't seem to work that well as the Windows version. At least when it comes to copying speeds. So, what's a solid freebie or cheap one out there for Mac?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

article:
http://mac360.com/2012/01/3-drop-dead-easy-ways-to-rip-dvd-movies-to-your-mac/

Handbrake + VLC - Free
Ripit - Paid (10 free)

more comments:
http://macdailynews.com/2012/01/26/3-drop-dead-easy-ways-to-rip-dvds-to-your-mac/#comments

info:
http://macs.about.com/od/diyguidesprojects/ss/copy-dvd-to-mac-using-handbrake.htm
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exact copy for potential burning? RipIt or MTR 4+

For general ripping and/or future transcoding? MakeMKV (also works for BD if you decide to go that way in the future.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use RipIt (got it in one of those Mac Update bundles) for copying to Video TS and HandBrake for converting to H.264. I used MTR for copying at one point, but then they wanted donations or something to get the latest version.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's up with MTR-4.

At version 3 you had to donate. Basically I never heard anything about MTR since then as nobody wanted to donate, because it wasn't well supported (catch 22)... anyhow now version 4 is out and if you look at wikipedia it looks like some sort of underground fight club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacTheRipper

Is it any good now? Is it getting the support needed? How does it compare to RipIt?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was staying away from MTR after they went underground Bandit. I think one of the release candidates after 3.0 was the last time. Something like RC 14. It just wasn't working on all movies as fas as decryption goes.

I've heard of RipIt as well, but it's like $25. I was just hoping there might be something new out there for free.

DVDFab for Mac works well, and it's free, but it's so darn slow. It takes me almost an hour and change to copy something on the new MacBook Pro. A system that's pretty darn snappy, too. More so than my 2010 Mac mini. Have you ever tried using it?

ez061111, just for copying to the HD. I pretty much use Handbrake for everything else.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Yeah, I was staying away from MTR after they went underground Bandit. I think one of the release candidates after 3.0 was the last time. Something like RC 14. It just wasn't working on all movies as fas as decryption goes.

I've heard of RipIt as well, but it's like $25. I was just hoping there might be something new out there for free.

DVDFab for Mac works well, and it's free, but it's so darn slow. It takes me almost an hour and change to copy something on the new MacBook Pro. A system that's pretty darn snappy, too. More so than my 2010 Mac mini. Have you ever tried using it?

ez061111, just for copying to the HD. I pretty much use Handbrake for everything else.

You might try MakeMKV. Never used DVDfab, but unless it's different than the others, ripping is not processor intensive, but rather dependent on the speed of your optical drive. I'd recommend a faster external perhaps.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
You might try MakeMKV. Never used DVDfab, but unless it's different than the others, ripping is not processor intensive, but rather dependent on the speed of your optical drive. I'd recommend a faster external perhaps.

Okay, I will give MakeMKV a look-see. I've heard of it before, but never really messed around with it.

I know that the speed of your optical comes into play, but it does SO much better in Windows with the same hardware. It's a newer product for the Mac though. Maybe some optimization or fixes are needed.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MakeMKV.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like RipIt because they continually update the application for new encryption schemes. Being able to rip Cars 2 would be an example. It also has a new compress feature that works rather well. I find myself using it more than HandBrake these days. That being said, you have far more control of the output with HandBrake.
Phase 700B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairmount is a free no frills option to try. Haven't used it in a while, but I used to point DVD2ONE to the Fairmount output VIDEO_TS file and burn a single layer backup DVD.
http://www.metakine.com/products/fairmount/
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had Fairmount lock up my computer, more than once choking on more complex DRM. I'll never bother with it again!

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one of three programs.
Mac DVD Ripper Pro
Ripit
Handbrake

MDRP now allows you to rip & compress, as does Ripit. However for DVDs with copy protection you can select the movie from the built in player so you know you are ripping the correct one. Ripit does a better job dealing with copy protection but lately the updates are slower and slower.

I often rip into dvdmedia files and then Handbrake run on several movies over night, this way my DVD isn't working the whole time and I can batch my movies.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
I often rip into dvdmedia files and then Handbrake run on several movies over night, this way my DVD isn't working the whole time and I can batch my movies.

I do that as well, but with a quad-core PC using DVDFab and HandBrake. Then I dump everything to an old MediaSmart server and use a pair of Mac minis for playback. It's like an old fashion ripping assembly line.

I also use DVD2one on the PC or Mac minis if anything needs burned.
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripping: Ripit
Burning: DVD2one V2.4.2 sometimes Toast 11.

OT... Hi Devo wish you & the Family well down South. No early Retirement, I Passed all tests & enough votes to get into the Motion Picture Studio Mechanics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: