123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Apple Releases Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.5 Reply with quote

Apple Releases Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.5
Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Posted by: Staff

Apple has released the Mac mini (Mid 2010) EFI Firmware Update 1.5 via their Software Update Utility and website for direct download. According to the company, this update enables Lion Recovery from an Internet connection on Mac mini (Mid 2010) models and addresses an issue where the setting to restart after a power failure may not be retained. The Mac mini (Mid 2010) EFI Firmware Update 1.5 weighs in at 3MB and requires Mac OS X 10.7.2. More information about Lion Recovery can be found here.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1775.html
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this in SU the other day, but thought it was an old update. I usually let firmware updates sit in there for a while to make sure there aren't any major issues with the update. I sort of remember getting burnt in the past with audio popping issues.
robgr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Firmware update 1.5 Reply with quote

Apple's software update informed me yesterday (1/24/12) that this update was available. I installed it, closely following their instructions, and everything seemed to be going well. I later shut down for the night. This morning when I tried to boot, I got the Black Screen of Death (BSOD) each time I tried to boot. I then booted off my original DVD and ran disk repair and repair disk permissions. Disk repair said the volume header needed minor repair, which it did. Disk permissions repaired a large number of items in System/Library/CoreServices.
I then tried to boot off the Mini HD - BSOD!
I zapped the PRAM. Still BSOD!
Tried starting with the option key, to select a boot volume - BSOD before a list could even show!
Tried to run the Apple Hardware Test (boot holding down D while the install disk is in the drive) - heard it accessing the install disk, then BSOD!
The only way I was able to boot was in Safe Mode, which is what I'm running on now.
I can find no mention of this issue on the Apple web site.
HELP!
robgr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Firmware update 1.5 Reply with quote

Just a follow-up to my previous post. I next tried rebooting holding down Command-R, to invoke Lion Recovery. It took a long time to fully get up and running, but it did boot into its normal configuration. Following that, I did a Restart, which worked; and then a shutdown and restart, which also worked. Looks like Lion Recovery does what the name implies!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it, robgr. That's a pretty unnerving experience!
airride

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine's dead too, have tried the apple recovery and reboot too..doesnt work..any idea??
Mickey75

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airride wrote:
mine's dead too, have tried the apple recovery and reboot too..doesnt work..any idea??

I had my 2011 Mac mini do the same thing. It ended up that a SMC and PRAM reset was the answer. I think it was like jammed and having a hard time finding the startup disk. I reset both and it fully loaded to the desktop. That was that.
airride

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried SMC & PRAM reset, didnt work.

to give a background about the issue i have Kingston v100 SSD installed in my mac mini late 2009 model. it was working fine for few months now. (until i installed this EFI update)..

now the Kingston v100 sdd is well known for the high failure rate. ( i tried updating the firmware with the instruction provided, but had failed earlier and forgot about it)

if i boot through my previous mac mini HDD (connecting it via USB), system boots up and SSD is shown in Disk utility, but when i click on repair drive, it fails and it tells me to erase the ssd and create the partitions again.

I might have some data on ssd which is not backed up (not very important)...but instead of recreating partition i would like to recover...

suggestion please....
saul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that doing a clean install it still asked me for an Apple ID to verify that I bought Lion. I guess they are not assuming everyone did.
saul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airride wrote:

if i boot through my previous mac mini HDD (connecting it via USB), system boots up and SSD is shown in Disk utility, but when i click on repair drive, it fails and it tells me to erase the ssd and create the partitions again.

I might have some data on ssd which is not backed up (not very important)...but instead of recreating partition i would like to recover...

suggestion please....

Try http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/
airride

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried many solutions, nothing worked...so what i did was created a disk image using disk utility and formatted the SSD and reinstalled Lion...

buy the problem now is when i go to image restore, disk utility gives error saying "resource is busy, cannot mount"...
saul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of doing a restore from backup (you can't because it is your active drive) use Migration Assistant to pull the data in.
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple isn't handling the order of these firmware updates very well. It seems like the different systems (i.e. 2009, 2010, 2011 Mac minis) should be going in order. This update leapfrogs the latest firmware for the 2011 Mac mini's, which was version 1.4. The next update for the 2011 Mac mini will probably be version 1.6, so there never was a version 1.5. I mean, if that makes any sense. Does anyone else agree?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: