123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2011 mini - can't reseat IR cable
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/cracking-open-the-apple-mac-mini-2011/6265433?tag=content;siu-container

74 photos of the 2011 mini. not sure if you have to join the site but they are a free site.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Broken IR cable Reply with quote

rorlin wrote:
I did the same exact thing. I have no need for the remote, but now my power light is not working. Apparently there is some connection between the IR board and the power light. What else have we screwed up?

Apparently, my power light is out as well, which makes me wonder whether this has anything to do with IR or not. Front row isn't working on Lion, so I can't test this with my iMac clicker - is there any app I can download just to test this?

Sound is definitely not affected.

Thanks for the techrepublic link, Phil. Unfortunately, none of their photos illuminate anything useful for helping me figure out how to re-attach the IR sock that holds the cable. I think that a magnifying glass would illustrate exactly where the tiny metal prongs should be touching on the mobo, but I'm still looking for a suggestion on the best way to re-attach them (glue? tape? cold solder? other?).
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plex can test the remote. You'll have to use the keyboard to get to the options menu, and turn on the remote.

Oh, and you might need CandleAir, but I'm not sure about that.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
GotYa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini server 2011 upgrading Reply with quote

Sad
Bummer, add me to the the ones that busted the IR connection.
I did put a small piece of black tape over the cable to prevent any shorts.

The damn IR connection didn't want to let go....
Thanks Apple for making a mini thats very difficult to upgrade
I have done several minis in the pass with 100% success..

I did learn that you DO NOT have to remove the mother board to install the top drive in the mini. But I did slide out the mother board a little.
The OWC instruction video didn't mention that you could do it this way.

Also had difficulty getting the grill back in place...
Oh well at least I have a Kingston HyperX 240 GB SSD but no power light.
Geekbench (32) came in about 110 points faster that standard 32 test.

My first was an Apple II+, then many children followed, thanks Woz for such an expensive hobby....
Remims

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need Front Row to test the IR remote. Just try to adjust the volume or pause iTunes using the remote. I have an iMac now and i'm running Lion, but it does perform those functions. Also if I press play, iTunes opens if it's not running.
GotYa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remims wrote:
You don't need Front Row to test the IR remote. Just try to adjust the volume or pause iTunes using the remote. I have an iMac now and i'm running Lion, but it does perform those functions. Also if I press play, iTunes opens if it's not running.

And remember to enable the remote in Apple > System Preferences > Security > General Tab > UnCheck the "Disable remote control infrared receiver". If the remote is already 'Paired', that could also cause problems.

I remember having an older MacPro that didn't have an IR Receiver.
I purchased a Microsoft Remote that came with a USB IR Receiver and it worked perfectly. Maybe I should try that IR Receiver on the Mini and see if I can get IR working again......

My first was an Apple II+, then many children followed, thanks Woz for such an expensive hobby....
Mviper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken IR cable Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
rorlin wrote:
I did the same exact thing. I have no need for the remote, but now my power light is not working. Apparently there is some connection between the IR board and the power light. What else have we screwed up?

Apparently, my power light is out as well, which makes me wonder whether this has anything to do with IR or not. Front row isn't working on Lion, so I can't test this with my iMac clicker - is there any app I can download just to test this?

Sound is definitely not affected.

Thanks for the techrepublic link, Phil. Unfortunately, none of their photos illuminate anything useful for helping me figure out how to re-attach the IR sock that holds the cable. I think that a magnifying glass would illustrate exactly where the tiny metal prongs should be touching on the mobo, but I'm still looking for a suggestion on the best way to re-attach them (glue? tape? cold solder? other?).

Also upon speaking to a tech at an apple store it also allows the mini to wake up when putting it to sleep.

Count me in as well upgraded my hard drive and am unable to connect the IR connector to the mono
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Infrared Sensor and Sleep Connector Reply with quote

These are photos of how I would suggest you disconnect
the Mac mini's "InfraRed Sensor + Sleep LED Connecter".
Thats what Apple calls it. If not working you will loose:
"Infrared reception"
"Power On LED'
"Sleep LED"

Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
MJL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not like the last picture with the needle nose pliers. It is important to realise that the connector needs to be move perpendicular away from the logic board and the way the pliers are shown give an impression of pressure under an angle.

I did move the logic board slightly out and did not unplug these connectors, only the SATA connector for the HDD (replaced by an Apple branded 128 Gb Toshiba SSD coming out of a MacBook Pro).

Personally I would see if I could fashion a tool that would put equal pressure under all the wires as close as possible to the connector and then see if I could wiggle it out in that way (don't know how much space there is and have no interest in opening the machine at this stage to investigate).
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Pop It UP Reply with quote

To remove the connector I used a plastic
stick known as a spudger. In order to photograph
the connector so it could be seen oriented correctly
I needed something to reorient it with, hence the
pliers.As far as using metal pliers, you can't tell it but
I was grounded to the mini using a ground strap.
I also often touch grounded metal to discharge myself.

Popping the connector "up" was best done from
behind and under the wires. The connector doesn't
slide forward or backward but "pops up" out of its
female connector soldered to the logic board.
It appears that some are prying the female
connector soldered to the logic board off of
the logic board. If you lift the male connector
from under the wires where they exit the male
connector then the female connector soldered
to the logic board should be safe.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.
20" iMac G4 PPC

Last edited by billb on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop It UP Reply with quote

billb wrote:
To remove the connector I used a plastic
stick known as a spudger.
Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Much better explained than I managed, well done!

I always wear a wrist strap and have an anti-static workplace. (metal kitchen sink on tiles - wet the tiles a bit Wink ).

PS
Many years ago I was responsible for the maintenance of the computers in a polytechnic. One technician mentioned that it was not necessary to wear a wrist strap, just touching every now and then the enclosure and then "earthing oneself" was supposdly sufficient. By that stage I had worked in QA in an electronics manufacturing environment so I suggested we put it to the test. We had just ordered two classrooms of identical equipment and they were delivered in the same shipment. One technician used the anti static work station and wrist strap and the other guy used his "sure method and earth oneself every now and then". At the end of the year the latter had 17 computers (of the 24) that had been returned to the supplier and the guy using the anti static workstation had 3 returned. The other difference between these two classrooms was that there was a large difference in BSOD and software/system crashes.

The message was clear: Antistatic damage is not necessarily immediately noticeable: more often than not it results in reduced lifespan.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Ground it Baby Reply with quote

Thats a great story. It pays to be diligent.
I would never stick my hands near RAM
or processors without being grounded
its easy to just do it always. I also
typically use a ground mat
20" iMac G4 PPC
kclubb

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add me to the list of IR-Less Mac Mini owners. I broke both the cable plug and the socket. The socket is still attached to the mother board, but it is now slightly askew, and I am sure that I have the (slightly broken) plug completely seated into the socket - so it must be dislocated from the motherboard. I broke the plug trying to lift it up like I was supposed to do on the OWC video. I agree with another poster that a tool that puts even pressure on all 4 wires when lifting is essential to remove this connector by an inexperienced user. I then moved the socket trying to make things right with the broken plug.

I am wondering if I should just have Apple fix it for $200 or live without the IR/LED? It sucks because I only had the Mac Mini for 1 day before I broke the LED. The LED did look cool. I have no use for the IR control port though.

If someone does figure out a way to fix this (conductive glue, etc) please post to this thread!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running my 2011 mini for a year without fixing the socket. I like the indicator light, but I can live without it. I certainly wouldn't pay $200 to have it working again.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Brocken IR Connector Reply with quote

Thats a shame Ken. Like Fox has said
you shouldn't need it. It (the LED) comes
in handy when trying to diagnose Logic Board
and other hardware problems but thats
unlikely.

No one makes a glue/epoxy that will
reliably attach your connector back
onto the Logic Board. At least not
yet.

Sorry!
20" iMac G4 PPC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: