123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Server Tips: Lion Restore without WiFi or DHCP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini Server Tips: Lion Restore without WiFi or DHCP Reply with quote

Mac Mini Server Tips: Lion Restore without WiFi or DHCP
Friday, January 20, 2012
Posted by: Jon Schwenn

The lack of physical installation media for Lion was met with mixed reviews. The replacements for the physical media were the App Store, Lion Recovery partition, and Internet Recovery. The Lion Recovery partition allows you to access the terminal, Disk Utility, and reinstall Lion. It's also much faster than loading the tools from a DVD.

If you're running a Lion server in a wired network environment without DHCP and you want to reinstall Lion, you're not stuck with a slower WiFi connection. You can use terminal to assign a static IP address prior to attempting the reinstallation. Although the Lion Recovery partition has most of the files needed, Internet access is required to validate the machine and download additional data.

For example, to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Lion, you'd first boot to the Lion Recovery partition. Using the Disk Utility you can erase the hard drive. Close Disk Utility and open Terminal from the tools menu. Enter the two following commands into the terminal:

networksetup -setmanual Ethernet xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.x xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

(replace 'x' with your: IP address, subnet mask, gateway)

networksetup -setdnsservers Ethernet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

(replace 'x' with your DNS server)

Quit Terminal and continue on with reinstalling Lion.

This Mac mini Server tip was provided by Jon Schwenn from Mac Mini Vault. Jon has been managing Linux and Mac web servers for over a decade. His certifications include ACTC and RHCE.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1773.html
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool my alternative for this is to build a lion magic DVD using a lightscribe drive and cdcovers.cc best site for custom covers for Macintosh software including DVD covers for Mac software all there computer covers are located under pc though so if your looking for a Mac section just search under pc
jonschwenn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
Pretty cool my alternative for this is to build a lion magic DVD using a lightscribe drive and cdcovers.cc best site for custom covers for Macintosh software including DVD covers for Mac software all there computer covers are located under pc though so if your looking for a Mac section just search under pc

Oddly enough when you install off a DVD it still downloads packages from Apple as a part of the installation. So the trick still works for a DVD install on a static wired network.
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the benefits if wireless isn't available, but I wonder what the time savings of wired vs wireless is on a decent connection with 802.11n?
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
jonschwenn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasshopper wrote:
I understand the benefits if wireless isn't available, but I wonder what the time savings of wired vs wireless is on a decent connection with 802.11n?

I've found some large business/educational cases where they have a high bandwidth connection and the wired is a faster solution.

The tip doesn't come in to play in every instance of a Lion re-install, but it does come in handy in the right circumstances.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: