123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils iBooks 2, iBooks Textbooks and iBooks Author

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Apple Unveils iBooks 2, iBooks Textbooks and iBooks Author Reply with quote

Apple Unveils iBooks 2, iBooks Textbooks and iBooks Author
Thursday, January 19, 2012
Posted by: Staff

Apple today announced iBooks 2 for iPad, featuring iBooks textbooks, an entirely new kind of textbook that's dynamic, engaging and truly interactive. iBooks textbooks offer iPad users gorgeous, fullscreen textbooks with interactive animations, diagrams, photos, videos, unrivaled navigation and much more. According to the company, iBooks textbooks can be kept up to date, don't weigh down a backpack and never have to be returned. Leading education services companies including Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, McGraw-Hill and Pearson will deliver educational titles on the iBookstore with most priced at $14.99 or less, and with the new iBooks Author, a free authoring tool available today, anyone with a Mac can create iBooks textbooks.

"Education is deep in Apple's DNA and iPad may be our most exciting education product yet. With 1.5 million iPads already in use in education institutions, including over 1,000 one-to-one deployments, iPad is rapidly being adopted by schools across the US and around the world," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "Now with iBooks 2 for iPad, students have a more dynamic, engaging and truly interactive way to read and learn, using the device they already love."

The new iBooks 2 app is available today as a free download from the App Store. With support for great new features including gorgeous, fullscreen books, interactive 3D objects, diagrams, videos and photos, the iBooks 2 app will let students learn about the solar system or the physics of a skyscraper with amazing new interactive textbooks that come to life with just a tap or swipe of the finger. With its fast, fluid navigation, easy highlighting and note-taking, searching and definitions, plus lesson reviews and study cards, the new iBooks 2 app lets students study and learn in more efficient and effective ways than ever before.

iBooks Author is also available today as a free download from the Mac App Store and lets anyone with a Mac create stunning iBooks textbooks, cookbooks, history books, picture books and more, and publish them to Apple's iBookstore. Authors and publishers of any size can start creating with Apple-designed templates that feature a wide variety of page layouts. iBooks Author lets you add your own text and images by simply dragging and dropping, and with the Multi-Touch widgets you can easily add interactive photo galleries, movies, Keynote presentations and 3D objects.

Apple today also announced an all-new iTunes U app giving educators and students everything they need on their iPad, iPhone and iPod touch to teach and take entire courses. With the new iTunes U app, students using iPads have access to the world's largest catalog of free educational content, along with over 20,000 education apps at their fingertips and hundreds of thousands of books in the iBookstore that can be used in their school curriculum, such as novels for English or Social Studies. The iTunes U app is available today as a free download from the App Store.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1770.html
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on my interactive autobiography as we speak. Laughing

I think Apple is going to dominate the education market again. They just need to keep hardware prices in check. I know our district went with Dell because of that factor alone. It's something they regret, but it's major factor when it comes to crunch time. Even if you have the best platforms, networking and hardware.
iLife's a Bitch!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Textbooks look good, but they don't perform too well on my iPad 1 32GB

I downloaded the free "Life On Earth" textbook but at 1GB it takes an age to load, during which time there is no user feedback of whats going on. All I get is an unresponsive interface, the performance is awful really. Sad

I even restored my iPad and wiped all the Music, Podcasts, apps etc off it and only installed iBooks and the textbook and it was still very slow. Once running it works ok but it has crashed a couple of times.

Textbook feel like they may be an iPad 2 feature I feel.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Cypher mine is still downloading. Might be done by tomorrow. That's just a demo too I think. One thing Apple needs to do for this to be successful is to up the storage space on the iPads. 9 books of this size and your full with no space left for even an operating system on the base pad. We'll see.

I can't believe those cheap solid state drives aren't coming down to nothing in price yet. Makes no sense they got to be cheaper to make than a mechanical working one.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Unveils iBooks 2, iBooks Textbooks and iBooks Auth Reply with quote

admin wrote:
According to the company, iBooks textbooks can be kept up to date, don't weigh down a backpack and never have to be returned.

Our kids are going to be so spoiled. I remember walking to school in a foot of snow with a backpack probably weighing 25-35 pounds. Wink

Ray Finkle wrote:
Might be done by tomorrow. That's just a demo too I think. One thing Apple needs to do for this to be successful is to up the storage space on the iPads. 9 books of this size and your full with no space left for even an operating system on the base pad. We'll see.

I'm thinking some of this stuff and/or content should reside in the cloud or be pulled down from the web. If that's the file sizes we're talking about. I haven't even given the books a look.
fiat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: iBooks Author Reply with quote

Too bad that the iBooks Author requires 10.7 for installing. Anyone suggest it's time to upgrade to Lion?
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: iBooks Author Reply with quote

fiat wrote:
Too bad that the iBooks Author requires 10.7 for installing. Anyone suggest it's time to upgrade to Lion?

Lion still has some quirks here and there, and behaviors that will drive you nutty, but it's solid enough to upgrade. Probably even more so with 10.7.3 coming around the bend soon. At least that's what the rumor sites say.

Then again, you also have this option...

Quote:
John Siracusa has discovered that you can make iBooks Author run in 10.6 Snow Leopard by opening the application package, opening the Info.plist file inside, and changing the LSMinimumSystemVersion string to 10.6.6 — you’ll have to copy the application over from a Lion Mac, since the App Store application won’t let you install it in Snow Leopard.

http://tidbits.com/article/12731

24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
fiat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tks, Grasshopper. Guess that the current new iB author isn't very useful and practical for me now any way. I may wait until newer version come out.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: iBooks Author Reply with quote

fiat wrote:

It's easy enough to set up a dual boot system, so I don't see any reason not to run Lion.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: iBooks Author Reply with quote

fiat wrote:
Anyone suggest it's time to upgrade to Lion

I have Lion on this machine and I hate it if I'm honest. My iMac is still on Snow Leopard and runs much better.

Lion my be fine on the new i5 & i7 machines with plenty of ram but its not too clever on my 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo with only 4GB of Ram.

Apple seems to be forcing us to upgrade to Lion with these new apps all requiring 10.7, iCloud is another one, and its the only thing stopping be rolling back to Snow Leopard as I would loose all of the syncing facilities Sad

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Apple Unveils iBooks 2, iBooks Textbooks and iBooks Auth Reply with quote

devo wrote:
admin wrote:
According to the company, iBooks textbooks can be kept up to date, don't weigh down a backpack and never have to be returned.

Our kids are going to be so spoiled. I remember walking to school in a foot of snow with a backpack probably weighing 25-35 pounds. Wink

The textbook I downloaded was only 2 chapters and rolled in at 1GB. I think they will still be carrying those books or they will be very rich students with 128GB iPad 3's Razz

The book on my iPad 1 32GB is next to useless and I've given up with it now. I did get it to load a couple of times and it was very good, but it kept crashing my iPad, dumping be back to the home screen. I wiped my iPad completely and only loaded back on a few apps. Even now the book takes for ever to load up and most of the time it actually fails to load. It just seems to sit there after clicking on the book on your shelf and your never sure if its loading or not, there is no indication it is doing anything.

curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Textbooks look good, but they don't perform too well on my iPad 1 32GB.

The iBooks 2 app itself and all my old books feel very sluggish on my 1G iPad. It's amazing how poor everything is performing. The iTunes U app is even worse.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is more at play here. That book is crashing just as bad on my iPad 2. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: