123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mail delete problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
armur

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Mail delete problem Reply with quote

All of a sudden "Mail" will not allow me to delete e-mails. I get a dropdown message says: The destination mailbox “Deleted Messages — mail” does not allow messages to be moved to it. This happened right after I had emptied the trash. I am using Mail 3.6 and Leopard 10.5.8. I have tried everything I can think of or find on-line. I am about to try a Mail re- install or a switch to Thunderbird. Can you help? Thanks
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using POP3 or IMAP?
Do you receive mail with any other device?
Who is your provider?

Have you tried a reboot? I know it's a windows thing to do, but I've had a few funky behaviors that a simple reboot resolved.
armur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using POP3. I have rebooted. I have no problem with receiving my mail. My problem is moving it to Trash when I'm done with it. My other trash bins are fine (trash on my Mac). It is just the Mail trash bin that has quit allowing trash to be moved into it.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd, I'd figured it was a IMAP setup. Have you tried to rebuilt your mailbox?

Mail, Message Menu, Rebuild Mailbox
armur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuilt it but no help. The icon for the "mail" trash bin is there, and there is a triangle next to it like there are more folders under it, but everything in it (if there are things in it) is invisible. When I put the mouse cursor over it it doesn't give me a description, as the other bins do. It acts like it's not there for some reason. I could try a reinstall of MAIL but I'm not sure that would solve it either.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at a loss, you might try posting on the Apple Support Communities to see if there is some advice.
armur

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. I have solved the problem. Heres what I did. In Mail there is a Trash bin. Under that trash bin there are 2 more dropdown trash bins . One is called On My Mac, and the other is called mail. The one called mail is the one that was flawed and as a result any time I tried to delete an e-mail it wouldn't delete since it was supposed to go into the flawed mailbox. I finally just deleted the entire flawed mailbox to see what would happen when I hit delete to delete an e-mail. I figured that Mail would have to get rid of it somewhere, and low and behold it created a new mail trash bin identical to the one that was flawed and that I had deleted, except the new one works perfectly. Thanks again for helping.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it fixed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: