123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Mini won't boot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: My Mini won't boot Reply with quote

Lately I've been having a problem, 5 or 6 time in last couple of months, when I've left my Mini unattended for a few hours. When I come back to use it the mouse will not respond. It is an Apple Magic Mouse and the batteries have been replaced. I usually end up powering off the Mini and then booting it back up. This has been working with no problems until yesterday. Now when I boot I get the Apple logo and then the spinning circle. This lasts for about 15 seconds and then it stops spinning and the Mini just sits there in this state. I'm afraid that the disk is toast, just looking for thoughts.

Anyone have any thought on the Magic Mouse?

By the way, the disk is a Seagate 500G XT. I've had it for about a year and I've never had any of the problems I've noticed being discussed on this board.

Thanks, Jim
4 - iPad 3 64GB - Wi-Fi + Cellular
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magic mouse is not that good of a piece of gear. logitech makes far better mice of course they use a dongle. I like apple wired keyboards with logitech mice. why they are just about a flawless combo. the logitech m310 is nice

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Mouse-M310-Stripe/dp/B003I4FHO4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1326117079&sr=8-5

this with this keyboard

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Aluminum-Wired-Keyboard-MB110LL/dp/B000V07N9U/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326117123&sr=1-3

the hard drive may need replacement. do you have a clone for a back up?

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it sounds like you are having issues with the mini/hard drive not the mouse.

Working in Apple retail, having sold hundreds and hundreds of Apple Magic mice. I personally think they are good mice. It's the first Apple mouse that I have liked. They don't make for a very good laptop mice though. They are not that durable if you drop them. The battery door will come flying off.

You can get Logitech bluetooth mice (no USB dongle). I own one and like it a lot.

Back to your issue. Look at the mini as the issue. I'd have a technician look at it if you want the issue resolved quickly. You are not going to know what the issue is until some troubleshooting takes place.

Are you looking for troubleshooting tips?
JimT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
magic mouse is not that good of a piece of gear. logitech makes far better mice of course they use a dongle. I like apple wired keyboards with logitech mice. why they are just about a flawless combo. the logitech m310 is nice

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Mouse-M310-Stripe/dp/B003I4FHO4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1326117079&sr=8-5

this with this keyboard

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Aluminum-Wired-Keyboard-MB110LL/dp/B000V07N9U/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326117123&sr=1-3

Philip

With the exception of the recent locking problem, the Magic mouse had been working flawlessly.

I do not have a recent clone but I do have Time Machine running all of the time, I've recovered from Time Machine in the past, all it requires is patience. I do agree that it looks like it may be a drive issue.

Thanks for the input.

[Edit] By the way, I do have the keyboard you mentioned, I like the fact that it has the extra keys and only wish that Apple would have also made a Bluetooth like it instead of the one they do sell. I feel somewhat shortchanged about that.

Jim
JimT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
To me it sounds like you are having issues with the mini/hard drive not the mouse.

Working in Apple retail, having sold hundreds and hundreds of Apple Magic mice. I personally think they are good mice. It's the first Apple mouse that I have liked. They don't make for a very good laptop mice though. They are not that durable if you drop them. The battery door will come flying off.

You can get Logitech bluetooth mice (no USB dongle). I own one and like it a lot.

Back to your issue. Look at the mini as the issue. I'd have a technician look at it if you want the issue resolved quickly. You are not going to know what the issue is until some troubleshooting takes place.

Are you looking for troubleshooting tips?

BB

Thanks for the input. I agree, it does appear to be a hard disk problem. I do have a Lion dvd around here, I'm just going to boot up with that and see if I can see anything with Disk Utility, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Bad Hybrid HD Reply with quote

That Seagate Hybrid Hard Drive isn't known
as being very reliable. When you get the Gray
Screen with a spinning wheel your mini is looking
for a Hard Drive with your OS on it to boot from.
The fact that it doesn't boot is a strong indicator
that the Boot Drive is bad. If its under warranty
Apple should replace the Hard Drive with an OS
on it. You can then restore from your Time Machine
drive when you first boot your new drive.

Wait a minute, you had to have installed that
Segate Hybrid drive. So, nothing is probably
under warranty. I wouldn't go to Apple. I
would install a new Hard Drive then begin to
install Lion then use the Lion Installer to restore
from your Time Machine back up.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
JimT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Hybrid HD Reply with quote

billb wrote:
That Seagate Hybrid Hard Drive isn't known
as being very reliable. When you get the Gray
Screen with a spinning wheel your mini is looking
for a Hard Drive with your OS on it to boot from.
The fact that it doesn't boot is a strong indicator
that the Boot Drive is bad. If its under warranty
Apple should replace the Hard Drive with an OS
on it. You can then restore from your Time Machine
drive when you first boot your new drive.

Wait a minute, you had to have installed that
Segate Hybrid drive. So, nothing is probably
under warranty. I wouldn't go to Apple. I
would install a new Hard Drive then begin to
install Lion then use the Lion Installer to restore
from your Time Machine back up.

Bill

You have stated pretty much what I figured I would have to do. I believe the drive is under warranty so I'm going to check into an RMA with Seagate. Thanks for the input.

Jim
JimT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Hybrid HD Reply with quote

Booted from a Lion dvd and loaded Disk Utility. I then ran all of the tests and repairs on the boot drive and everything checked out OK. Unfortunately, when I tried to boot from the disk drive the same problem was experianced. Well, I have a 320gig laying around so I guess I'll install Lion on that and then restor the rest from Time Machine. I'll then see if I can read the disk a recove anything that wasn't backed up. Then I'll RMA the drive.

Thanks to all for everything.

Jim
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimT wrote:
philiparcario wrote:

this with this keyboard

Philip

With the exception of the recent locking problem, the Magic mouse had been working flawlessly.

I do not have a recent clone but I do have Time Machine running all of the time, I've recovered from Time Machine in the past, all it requires is patience. I do agree that it looks like it may be a drive issue.

Thanks for the input.

[Edit] By the way, I do have the keyboard you mentioned, I like the fact that it has the extra keys and only wish that Apple would have also made a Bluetooth like it instead of the one they do sell. I feel somewhat shortchanged about that.

Jim

yeah I had a lot of magic mice. they eat batteries and they break in about a year. the wireless keyboards have been a lot better then the magic mice have.. the logitech use 1 battery not 2 and the batteries last a lot longer. the logitech don't break can use them for years. I would live with the magic mice eating the batteries but all of the ones I have owned ( 3 or 4) die off. As for your other problem the hdd if you look at my rants against seagate 500gb 7200 rpm hdds from 2008-2009 you will feel i am not a fan of them.

JimT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I swapped out the hard disks, loaded Lion and then restored from Time Machine. Everything is back to normal.

I took the Seagsate and put it in an external USB case. I can acces the drive and I see everything on it. I guess the drive is not toast, just something that is needed to boot. I'm going to play around with it and see if I can figure it out before I attempt to get an RMA for it. I'll keep you informed.

Jim
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be the result of a bad sector; I had that happen to my XT. Since one can reformat and block out bad sectors, I asked a few tech friends advice on what to do. They suggested RMA'ing the drive; once you get one bad sector, others follow. The replacement drive has been trouble-free.

If I recall correctly, Seagate's has a testing utility on their website.
JimT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
This could be the result of a bad sector; I had that happen to my XT. Since one can reformat and block out bad sectors, I asked a few tech friends advice on what to do. They suggested RMA'ing the drive; once you get one bad sector, others follow. The replacement drive has been trouble-free.

After putting the drive in an external case I again went into Disk Utility. I ran Verify and then Repair. There was some message about the fixing something in the boot area. I can now boot up from the drive externally. I,m still not sure if I should replace it or just use it. For now I'm just going to use it. I now have a good and recent bootable backup image. Thanks to Phil for reminding me I should do that. Time Machine is good for backing up all of my data but there's nothing like an easily accessible bootable external drive.

Jim
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah a fresh clone for boot backup is a must. I am glad it helped.

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimT wrote:
Fox wrote:

After putting the drive in an external case I again went into Disk Utility. I ran Verify and then Repair. There was some message about the fixing something in the boot area. I can now boot up from the drive externally. I,m still not sure if I should replace it or just use it. For now I'm just going to use it. I now have a good and recent bootable backup image. Thanks to Phil for reminding me I should do that. Time Machine is good for backing up all of my data but there's nothing like an easily accessible bootable external drive.

Jim

The drive may have just needed repairs via software.

I'd keep booting and running from the external for a while until you are 100% comfortable with it. If you add data to the external drive during use (ie. bookmarks, emails, docs etc.) you can always clone the entire contents of the external, onto the internal drive, then switch back over to booting from the internal and then carry on using the external as a backup once again.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate seagate i went threw 30 of them.

Let me explain what happened to mine i found out from a online source that certain sea gates need a firmware update for use on macintosh or they corrupt i went to go download the firmware update and found a problem you have to have a windows machine to upgrade the firmware then transfer the hard drive back into the mac and start again.

the only issue with this unless you have a laptop to sata adapter you can't run windows and update the hard drive firmware.

so on seagate i gave up i went western digital
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: