123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech Intros New MiniStack and MiniStack Max
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: NewerTech Intros New MiniStack and MiniStack Max Reply with quote

NewerTech Intros New MiniStack and MiniStack Max
Wednesday, January 11, 2012
Posted by: Staff

NewerTech has officially introduced their new MiniStack and MiniStack Max external hard drive solutions. These aluminum drives are designed to be stacked with the 2010 and 2011 Mac mini, as well match other current Macs. They also offer quad-interfaces of FireWire, USB 2.0, USB 3.0 and eSATA for connecting up. And cooling is said to be controlled by a MagLev fan, which is the same as being used in the Mac mini, for whisper-quiet operation. The MiniStack Max also features a built-in optical drive, SD card reader, and USB powered hub taking expansion to the next level.

More information and pictures can be seen down below if you are interested. NewerTech still hasn't released pricing information, but both models are scheduled to begin shipping in March.

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1769.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:18 pm; edited 6 times in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the MiniStack. Smile but again where is our Thunderbolt Wink
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Thunderbolt. Sad

I do like the appearance of the Mini Stack better. The Mini Stack Max just doesn't look as refined or Mac like to me. But perhaps it looks better in person and the pictures don't do it justice. It's hard to say. I also have a feeling that it's going to cost substantially more.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they have a barebones MiniStack. I have a 1TB drive sitting in a drawer here doing nothing. I'd much rather have it in one of these below my 2010 Mac mini. Smile
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
I hope they have a barebones MiniStack. I have a 1TB drive sitting in a drawer here doing nothing. I'd much rather have it in one of these below my 2010 Mac mini. Smile

OWC will be offering 0GB kits and both models in capacities ranging from 500GB to 4.0TB. We probably should have mentioned that above. Embarassed
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Ben_Tex wrote:

OWC will be offering 0GB kits and both models in capacities ranging from 500GB to 4.0TB. We probably should have mentioned that above. Embarassed

Nice! I'm sure they will be popular.
Am Yisrael Chai!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what the hell they were thinking. What good does it do me to purchase that product if it doesn't connect with thunderbolt? It really doesn't offer me anything but legacy hardware. I would rather invest the money on a second SSD kit.

Pttttttttttt!
ed-hawco

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Dual drives? Reply with quote

Hey, is there any chance the MiniStack Max will be able to accomodate two drives?
Ed Hawco | www.blork.org
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am Yisrael Chai! wrote:
I don't understand what the hell they were thinking. What good does it do me to purchase that product if it doesn't connect with thunderbolt? It really doesn't offer me anything but legacy hardware. I would rather invest the money on a second SSD kit.

Pttttttttttt!

It appears to be more of a PC drive in a Mac enclosure. It has a bit of an identity crisis. It seems like a bad idea to me. Sure the PC market is larger, but why not make it a Mac product.

My LaCie mini is one of the reasons I have not upgraded to the new form factor. It was truly made for my Mac mini.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
My LaCie mini is one of the reasons I have not upgraded to the new form factor. It was truly made for my Mac mini.

I so wish they would bring that one back for the new Mac minis. That thing was built so nice. Heck, I still use mine to this day. Even though I've moved on from the older body style to one of the new Mac minis. As for these new MiniStacks, they look pretty nice. I like the fact that they are made out of aluminum. I believe the old ones where made out of plastic. It also sounds like they addressed some of the issues with fan noise. I remember reading a lot of complaints here about that one. Which was something else that I like about my LaCie mini. It doesn't even have a fan and runs silent.

Oh well, it's cool there's a drive now that matches up with the new Mac minis. It would have even be cooler with Thunderbolt though. I'd be rushing out to buy one of those at the right price.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still going with the MiniStack Max if the price is right. I need an optical and external, so it's like killing two birds with one stone. I do agree with those saying the SD card slot is fugly, but I can deal. I just don't need any more crap on my desk with wires. This should help clean that mess up.
Texark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. I really hope Apple goes with USB 3.0 in their next round of updates. Thunderbolt seems lost in the storage wars at this point. Sure it's the best technology, but there are far more compelling USB 3.0 drives at this point. Ones that are selling for a price you can afford too. You can easily buy a 1TB USB 3.0 drive @ 5 Gbps for around $100. That sounds good to me.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
Not bad. I really hope Apple goes with USB 3.0 in their next round of updates. Thunderbolt seems lost in the storage wars at this point. Sure it's the best technology, but there are far more compelling USB 3.0 drives at this point. Ones that are selling for a price you can afford too. You can easily buy a 1TB USB 3.0 drive @ 5 Gbps for around $100. That sounds good to me.

t-bolt will on pc's in april there is a new board that supports usb 3 and t-bolt

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5351/msis-z77-ivy-bridge-motherboards-at-ces-now-with-thunderbolt-support

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Am Yisrael Chai!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PC world is kind of stuck on usb 3 right now. I don't see them being that excited about thunderbolt; after all, any mac can run winblows and they now all have thunderbolt.
Texark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ philiparcario
Let's hope Apple is next then with both standards on the same boards.

@Am Yisrael Chai!
They might be initially, but not as much after they see the offerings and pricing. Does that sound familiar? I think that's the way most Mac users feel at this point. Most seem to be growing impatient. USB 3.0 also has the lead at retail and shelf space, which could be hard to overcome. I mean, when it comes to storage devices.

I just hope Apple goes with USB 3.0 in the next round of updates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: