123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini 1.66 Upgrading
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psychologist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
psychologist wrote:
Thanks to all the members for the advice and guidance.

I noticed you joined the forum in 2005. Did you have the original G4 mini as well?

I'm impressed that you are going for the DIY CPU upgrade. I was expecting this thread to turn into a case of an abundance of advice which was well above what you requested.
It nice to see that the members of this forum often go above and beyond to give other members guidance. Most forums I visit simply tell members to use the search function.

Let us know how things go.

I am beginning the endeavor today as most all parts arrived. I didn't receive the thermal paste yet and am going to see if that is available locally.

This board has always proven a good resource for me and primarily written on an understandable level. Luckily it's one that isn't needed often. Based upon advice back in 2005, I waited for the later model mini and didn't purchase a G4 version as well.
cmlucht

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was running lion on my mini and it ran great but back to snow leopard since i just like it better.
my upgrade was this.
i had the core solo mini and now.

core 2 duo 2.00ghz first upgrade
320gig 7200 rpm sata drive 2nd upgrade
did the efi upgrade 3rd
installed 3gig ram 4th upgrade
love the mini.
JJCv2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I'm glad to see this site still around, I enjoyed visiting back in 05-06.

Anyhow, I look forward to your upgrade results and hope all went well.

I'm a 2006 Mac Mini 1.66 Core Duo guy myself and I'm considering upgrading the hard drive eventually. So this thread is good timing for myself.

One question for those who have done a hard drive upgrade, after reading a few guides I understand the stock hard drive has a T shaped foam padding/tape attached to one of it's sides and this needs to be removed and applied to the new drive. Does this foam padding/tape come off easily and will it reapply to the new hard drive on it's own or is some adhesive needed?

Cheers, and thanks OP for your thread and to the members willing to help out on these questions.
HidariMigi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJCv2 wrote:

One question for those who have done a hard drive upgrade, after reading a few guides I understand the stock hard drive has a T shaped foam padding/tape attached to one of it's sides and this needs to be removed and applied to the new drive. Does this foam padding/tape come off easily and will it reapply to the new hard drive on it's own or is some adhesive needed?

As I recall from my recent-ish hard drive upgrade, the tape can be removed by slowly peeling it up -- and will stick to to the new drive without additional adhesive.
psychologist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJCv2 wrote:

I'm a 2006 Mac Mini 1.66 Core Duo guy myself and I'm considering upgrading the hard drive eventually. So this thread is good timing for myself.

Cheers, and thanks OP for your thread and to the members willing to help out on these questions.

I just finished installing the CPU and the new hard drive this morning. I completed the entire process in about 90 minutes including the time it took to repair a slightly bent pin the the new (used) 2.33 GHz CPU.

The T-shaped tape peels off easily from the top of the T. It had enough adhesive to adhere to the new hard drive. As a member in this forum suggested, I went to ifixit.com and looked at the directions for both the CPU and hard drive. The directions were spot-on right, including suggestions.

If I had only been changing the hard drive, the entire process would have taken less than thirty minutes including a break. The CPU proves easy until trying to remove and reinstall those tiny retaining clips on the heat sink. I broke one but had screws as someone recommended.

When you go to reinstall OSX you will have to go to disk utility first. You then find your unnamed disk at the top and erase it. This allows you to then go and load the operating system. If you don't do this step first, the OSX install disk will not recognize your new hard drive. It took a while to figure that out.

I am very mechanical and had all the tools in the garage. I used two putty knives, a set of electrical small screw drivers (jeweler's drivers but all plastic except the tips), a Torx T10 driver, and jeweler's needle-nose pliers. Make sure you have the Torx bit.

I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone who helped with this upgrade. It's the machine the wife uses and thus quite important. Also, the total bill ended around $150, much cheaper than the new mini with no disk drive. Thank you again for all the assistance.
JJCv2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, glad to see it went well.

150 bucks huh, that's pretty good.
HidariMigi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Reply with quote

Well done indeed -- and pretty speedy for not having done it before!

Have you been checking the processor temperatures since the upgrade?

There are two good free utilities for that: Temperature Monitor and SMCFanControl

SMCFanControl in particularly useful for being able to manually set the speed of the internal fan, to improve cooling
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Fan Control Reply with quote

I prefer Fan Control. I have found it
more stable than SMC Fan Control.
The current version of Fan Control
1.2 is for OSX 10.6 but has been
working fine in 10.7. Its a System
Preference so after instillation you'll
access it through your System Preferences.
DON'T install both Fan Control and SMC.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: