123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting ready of new media server need some information.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Getting ready of new media server need some information. Reply with quote

Ok i currently have 2 1 Tb hard drives filled with videos from my own videos to client videos for my photography studio work.

My idea is to build a new/used server as i didn't like my xserve to loud and far to noisy for my tastes so here is my plan of attack...

i am purchasing a 1.8 ghz powerpc g5 mac pro tower.

I am planing on installing mac os x server tiger don't play games nor access the internet from this computer so it won't matter. on internet just file sharing across three machines.

I am only planing on using 2 gig's of ram really all this machine needs for file sharing across these machines

So my question is will tiger work good as a file sharing server???
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why not.

I have a 4TB Netgear ReadyNas acting as my file server. It only has 256MB ram and runs on an Infrant IT3107 Network Storage Processor which I believe is clocked at 280Mhz. I've had it streaming movies over gigabit ethernet to several computers at the same time and it never missed a beat.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks i have got some new plans for this machine my friend gave me some awesome ideas to add 4 hard drives to the machine by removing the internal cd rom and going with a external firewire cd drive instead sounds do able
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!!!!

Found out it's not only do able it's really easy all you need is a pop rivet gun and two sets of 5 1/2 inch drive rails to attached to the hard drives then after that replace the ide cable with a new one and split the power connector into two connectors awesome...
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Update Huge Update List.

Friend of mine gave me a old mac mini G4 powerpc macintosh on it's last legs the graphics card is pretty well freaking the machine out so i used the old machine for parts because the g4 mac mini used the same airport extreme card and bluetooth board as the G5 1.8 ghz mac pro tower so i used those installed them in the mac pro media server project.

i decided to upgrade to a Sata 52X CD/DVD-burner just incase i need to burn a project file to disk at anytime. Don't really need the second data port anyways for the hard drive.

My full system specs i now have

Mac pro tower.

Running mac os x leopard server 10.5.8

4 gig's of ram

1 TB Hard drive

And for any macintosh collector some information for you.

Yes you can use a 1 TB on the built in sata port on the mac pro tower no need to upgrade or add a data card.

only problem...

It must be a western digital Green Drive because it has multi speed support which means it works on any sata controller because it will adjust the drive to the machines needs nice drive at 100.00.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Update Huge Update List.

Friend of mine gave me a old mac mini G4 powerpc macintosh on it's last legs the graphics card is pretty well freaking the machine out so i used the old machine for parts because the g4 mac mini used the same airport extreme card and bluetooth board as the G5 1.8 ghz mac pro tower so i used those installed them in the mac pro media server project.

i decided to upgrade to a Sata 52X CD/DVD-burner just incase i need to burn a project file to disk at anytime. Don't really need the second data port anyways for the hard drive.

My full system specs i now have

Mac pro tower.

Running mac os x leopard server 10.5.8

4 gig's of ram

1 TB Hard drive

And for any macintosh collector some information for you.

Yes you can use a 1 TB on the built in sata port on the mac pro tower no need to upgrade or add a data card.

only problem...

It must be a western digital Green Drive because it has multi speed support which means it works on any sata controller because it will adjust the drive to the machines needs nice drive at 100.00.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: