123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boxee 1.5 is out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Boxee 1.5 is out Reply with quote

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the Boxee finally released version 1.5 (same as found on the Boxee Box) and it looks pretty cool. The bad news is that it will be the last release for desktop machines and it doesn't support many key apps. Like Pandora and Netflix for example.

http://blog.boxee.tv/2011/12/26/boxee-1-5-fall-software-update/
jezzy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxee 1.5 is out Reply with quote

curt wrote:
I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the Boxee finally released version 1.5 (same as found on the Boxee Box) and it looks pretty cool. The bad news is that it will be the last release for desktop machines and it doesn't support many key apps. Like Pandora and Netflix for example.

http://blog.boxee.tv/2011/12/26/boxee-1-5-fall-software-update/

thats too bad... I think they should stick to supporting the PC community..or at least charge for the product (reasonable price), don't think they can continue to survive with only the boxes box.. there's too much competition out there! (i.e.: apple tv!)
ATV 160GB
WDTV Live
46" Sharp Aquos
Thecus N7700 NAS
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda switched back to XBMC, but that's a shame. It's not like the Boxee Box is doing that well either. From what I've read, it's the Apple TV and Roku boxes that are selling like gangbusters. It's also like double and triple the price. So without desktop or embedded versions of the software, I wouldn't be surprised to see them sink away. That's just my opinion.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the reviews of the Boxee Box not being that great, I can't see buying one. They look cool, but if they can't handle the media, what's the point?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Texark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the remote that came with the Boxee Box looked cool. But other than that, it got pretty lousy reviews. They would always make note of how quirky the software was running. I mean, stuff wouldn't even show without a match on scrape. It also had major troubles with SMB shares.
jezzy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
I always thought the remote that came with the Boxee Box looked cool. But other than that, it got pretty lousy reviews. They would always make note of how quirky the software was running. I mean, stuff wouldn't even show without a match on scrape. It also had major troubles with SMB shares.

I tried picking one up used to tinker with, but they are already sold (100$), was worth giving it a shot.

I have my WDTV which literally plays EVERY file I've ever thrown at it over the past few years.. but the interface is f-ugly !
ATV 160GB
WDTV Live
46" Sharp Aquos
Thecus N7700 NAS
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never get Boxee to behave right for my setup, could never figure out why it was popular as the developers seem to care less about the mac community. After reading some of their replies I went to XBMC. When I read the announcement about this being their final version I got that same, 'we don't give a rip' attitude between the lines. With Plex and XBMC still in development and recently updated maybe there are just too many players in the field for them to compete.
jezzy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
I could never get Boxee to behave right for my setup, could never figure out why it was popular as the developers seem to care less about the mac community. After reading some of their replies I went to XBMC. When I read the announcement about this being their final version I got that same, 'we don't give a rip' attitude between the lines. With Plex and XBMC still in development and recently updated maybe there are just too many players in the field for them to compete.

I've had audio issues myself with boxee in the past. I installed their latest beta, very buggy. Using the iPhone boxee remote makes it boxee crash! Deleted it, will end up using plex on the mini and xbmc on the atv1 w/ crystal hd. Can't wait for them to arrive!
ATV 160GB
WDTV Live
46" Sharp Aquos
Thecus N7700 NAS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: