123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini late 2006 to C2D 2.16 and RAM question.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simonek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Mac Mini late 2006 to C2D 2.16 and RAM question. Reply with quote

Since I upgraded my late 2006 mini to C2D 2.16 CPU I was wandering can I now go for 2x 2GB of ram (3.1 realy) for my mini or am I stuck for life with 2x 1GB ram as a maximum amount of memory this model can take? Does anyone try to go for 2x 2GB of ram in late 2006 mini after CPU upgrade?
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you had a core duo cpu and put in a core 2 duo cpu.

the motherboard rules not the cpu.

thus 2 x 1 gb is your max.

this is why I don't recommend the upgrade of a 2006 core duo cpu mac mini.

the oldest mini worth upgrading is a 2007 core 2 duo 1.83GHz. you can make it a 2.33 GHz c2d cpu with 2 x 2gb sticks of ram. It will run snow l very well.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
simonek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respectfully disagree:). First of all, from what I know, mini late 2006 and mini mid 2007 both have the same logicboard. So if there's a reason why late 2006 won't accept 2x 2GB of ram it has to be something else. Anyway, IMHO an upgraded to 2.16 c2d, 750gb 7200 rpm hdd and 2 gigs of ram mac mini late 2006 is enough for comfortable web browsing, managing your iphoto library, itunes music and some movies.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonek wrote:
I respectfully disagree:). First of all, from what I know, mini late 2006 and mini mid 2007 both have the same logicboard. So if there's a reason why late 2006 won't accept 2x 2GB of ram it has to be something else. Anyway, IMHO an upgraded to 2.16 c2d, 750gb 7200 rpm hdd and 2 gigs of ram mac mini late 2006 is enough for comfortable web browsing, managing your iphoto library, itunes music and some movies.

I said he needs a 2007 1.83 c2d mac mini if he wants more then 2 gb ram.

if he has that machine it has a different logic board then a 2006 1.66 cd mac mini. read the known ram specs for the 2 machines

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/mac-mini/

see that the 2006 is core duo/core solo see that the 2007 is core 2 duo.

see that one uses 2gb ram and the other uses 4gb ram.

philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonek wrote:

I said he needs a 2007 1.83 c2d mac mini if he wants more then 2 gb ram.

if he has that machine it has a different logic board then a 2006 1.66 cd mac mini. read the known ram specs for the 2 machines

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/mac-mini/

see that the 2006 is core duo/core solo see that the 2007 is core 2 duo.

see that one uses 2gb ram and the other uses up to 4gb ram.

I am not against playing with old gear. I owned a 1977 dodge aspen slant six for 20 years until 2004. It had a slant six engine with 380,000 miles on it. At a certain point it time having old gear make sense. He is a lot better off if he owned a 2007 instead of the 2006. It is more flexible in upgrades.

simonek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@up I know what you mean and I'm familiar with official specs. I was just wandering, since it looks like there is only one significant difference between these two models (1,1 and 2,1) - CPU, could that be possible. Both 1,1 and 2,1 have same bus speed with is 667, same ram type and all ot that. Frankly I'd be a bit surprised if no one here ever tried to install 2 x 2gb of ram in upgraded to c2d 1,1 mini just out of curiosity??Smile
saul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonek wrote:
I respectfully disagree:). First of all, from what I know, mini late 2006 and mini mid 2007 both have the same logicboard. So if there's a reason why late 2006 won't accept 2x 2GB of ram it has to be something else.

They may have the same logic board but different firmware that limits to 2GB. There is a big discussion on this over on another board. Just recently some say that they have been able to change the firmware of the 2006 1,1 version to look like a 2,1 and accept more memory. See http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,874.0.html
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saul just read the link looks like you can do it. that now makes the 2006 mini a lot better. if you turn it into a 3.1gb ram 2.33ghz c2d cpu machine it is not so bad.

simonek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I was hoping for. Plus it seems like with upgraded firmware you could install lion osx on mini 1,1 with no extra efford needed right now.
HidariMigi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: RE: MacMini1,1 firmware upgrade Reply with quote

The link from this topic led me to solving the same issue-- getting my Late-2006 MacMini to accept more than 2GB RAM.

After doing the T7400 processor upgrade, I went ahead and installed 2x2GB DDR2 sticks and then scratched my head for hours when it wouldn't boot up. Disassembled and reassembled it a couple of times, too, to see if I somehow missed something. (Even replaced the CMOS battery.)

Then, eureka, a bit of research led me to the recent find that it was possible to hack the firmware, turning the old MacMini1,1 into a 2,1 -- which recognizes more than 2GB.

I crossed my fingers, followed the directions, and voilą! It's alive! And yes, it now shows 4GB (although it can really only address around 3GB.)

However, in answer to the previous post: it still won't install Lion natively without an additional bit of work.
simonek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@up

That's awesome, aside from - Lion still knows it's not "legit". Could you share your knowlege thoug? On how, step by step you did it? I mean from where you got new firmware, whtat exactly did you do to make it work and so on? So we could all benefit from your experience;).
HidariMigi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: How to update firmware MacMini1,1 -> MacMini2,1 Reply with quote

simonek wrote:
@up

That's awesome, aside from - Lion still knows it's not "legit". Could you share your knowlege thoug? On how, step by step you did it? I mean from where you got new firmware, whtat exactly did you do to make it work and so on? So we could all benefit from your experience;).

Lion has an internal "whitelist" preventing it from running on unsupported systems: /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

Removing that file will let Lion run. (Run, Lion, run!) There's also a patch that will allow Lion to be installed-- although I can't vouch for its efficacy: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=263477

I found the firmware and instructions via the French site MacBidouille.com

Here is the method:

1) Download Archive.zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?lfangrn69rxln3q

2) Extract Archive.zip and place the two files in "/System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates"
- You'll be prompted for a password to authenticate

3) Using Terminal, execute this command:
Code:
sudo bless -mount / -firmware /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/EFIUpdaterApp.efi -payload /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/LOCKED_MM11_0055_08B.fd -options "-x efi-apple-payload0-data" --verbose

- Again, you'll need to enter a password to execute the sudo
- You'll get a screen of information, as it blesses/mounts the firmware updates.

4) Shut down your Mac Mini, and hold the power button down until the front light begins to flash.

5) It should begin the firmware upgrade process then reboot. Give it time to complete.

The followup posts have some people reporting issues with screen resolution or somesuch after the firmware is updated-- however, mine went without a hitch. A reboot and PRAM reset seems to fix that for affected machines.

Just to be safe, I went ahead a deleted the two files from the Firmware Updates folder.
werter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: How to update firmware MacMini1,1 -> MacMini2,1 Reply with quote

HidariMigi wrote:

The followup posts have some people reporting issues with screen resolution or somesuch after the firmware is updated...

Oh yes, just after all that light flashing and beeping that occured during the FW update my Mm was displaying such a mess! Shocked
But simply one more reboot cured the situation. And voila! - the Mm runs with 4 GB RAM onboard.
The one and only thing that's left to do is to throw out the combo drive and insert a HDD caddy. That's too bad, there's nothing else to upgrade... Crying or Very sad
Electrodude95

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Updating Mac Mini Firmware Reply with quote

I have seen instructions for this on different forums and this one says to begin the firmware update you hold the power button until the light starts flashing, on another forum it says to hold the power button until the flashing ceases. So which one is it? i don't want to brick my mac because of miscommunication. Can anyone tell me which one is the right way to do it.
werter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Updating Mac Mini Firmware Reply with quote

Electrodude95 wrote:
So which one is it?

Actually, there's no use of holding on the pwr button after the light began to flash. As soon as the update sequence starts, the flashing light indicates it to us, so, no need to hold it on pressed. Sort of that. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: