123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HDMI 2010 question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stubs86

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: HDMI 2010 question Reply with quote

Hello, all great site. Almost too vast, I can't seem to find an answer about using my (or soon to be my) mini.

Ill have an AV receiver, maybe this Sony one.
http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-systems/sony-ht-ct150/4505-6740_7-34073592.html?tag=rb_content;contentBody

An HDTV (still looking)
PS3
Etc.

So if my HDMI from MINI is ran to TV ill get picture yes, but will my sound be 5.1 out of the sony sound system?
MyTV output im assuming is somehow hooked into my AV receiver as the "main input" so all other devices, ps3, dvd player will all work with the Sony speakers?

I just want to make sure my theory is correct before I start throwing money around like a hotshot..

Any help/clarification would be appreciated.
Comments on Mac Mini models "best" suited as HTDV unit??
(the new model doesn't have a dvd drive..?)
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look at this ht system closer when I get home. But it appears you should have no issues. Likely I would hook both the mini and the ps3 directly to the receiver through hdmi and then connect an hdmi cable from the receiver to the tv. Everything should work just fine in full 5.1.

The nice thing about doing it this way is you will not need to change the video or sound input on the television when changing your source mini/ps3 everything will be handled through the Sony remote.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
stubs86

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
Im moving from my old place and want to update my space. So all the newer connections are unfimiar to me.
In the case of my PS3, would I hook that up through HDMI or optical input. Sound/Video issues better results etc..

Thanks
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]

The DVD player will be your Mac mini.
The Blu-ray player will be your PS3
You will have one more HDMI input avail if you have a cablebox/pvr

I highly recommend that if you are getting the Sony sound system that you look at a Sony TV. They will play nice together with one remote.
stubs86

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarification.
Im wondering if to just pick up a pre-2010 model on Kijiji, and go with DVI to HDMI for a few reasons.

1. Price
2. May just get a 720p Tv becuase of again, price.

My confusion lies in loss of quality.
If I was t get a 1080p LCD, with a pre 2010 model mini, and up scaling, do you loose any quality, and while were at it, is it really that much slower at video, photo editing? (not that I use those too frequently)

If I was to get an HDMI mac mini, should I in this case go for the 1080p screen?

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: