123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Safari 5.1.2 Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Apple Releases Safari 5.1.2 Update Reply with quote

Apple Releases Safari 5.1.2 Update
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Posted by: Staff

Apple has released the Safari 5.1.2 Update for Lion and Snow Leopard via their Software Update Utility and website for direct download. According to the company, this update contains various improvements, including fixes that:

- Improve stability.

- Address issues that could cause hangs and excessive memory usage.

- Address issues that could cause webpages to flash white.

- Allow PDFs to be displayed within web content.

The Safari 5.1.2 Update requires either Mac OS X 10.6.8 or 10.7.2.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1753.html
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish that when I exit Safari it not remember the last page I was on. I hate the fact that if I was last on a financial site, or Facebook, that others can see the last things I was doing online.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
I just wish that when I exit Safari it not remember the last page I was on. I hate the fact that if I was last on a financial site, or Facebook, that others can see the last things I was doing online.

Just have new windows open with a blank page. Are you talking about History as well?

Chrome is still my browser of choice. Safari always bugs out on me after a couple weeks. Plus, Chrome seems to do better with memory consumption.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:

Just have new windows open with a blank page. Are you talking about History as well?

Chrome is still my browser of choice. Safari always bugs out on me after a couple weeks. Plus, Chrome seems to do better with memory consumption.

Within the last year or so (I don't remember which release), Safari always opens with any windows that were previously open. For example, I have this site, 123macmini.com, open right now, and if I quite Safari (or use Command-Q), next time I open the browser it doesn't show my default home page but instead assumes I want it to open back at 123macmini.com. I know FireFox at least allows this setting to be changed, to where it can open to any previous tabs I might have been on, or open to just my preferred home page - Safari doesn't seem to have any options to manage this.

I don't mind if it remembers through history, or if someone wants to look through history - it's just that if I don't remember to close each tab, or use the red-'X' on the upper-left, before quitting, next time Safari's opened it returns to those pages - and last thing I want is someone looking at personal bank accounts, or credit cards, or any private stuff I might have left open (although most will timeout after a few minutes).

Thanks for the idea, I'll give Chrome another try - I haven't used it since it was originally released, but many do seem to love it.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ESU

Safari > Preferences > General > New windows open with. It sounds like that is the setting you are looking for. If that doesn't work, trash your com.apple.safari.plist and clear things out. I've had that help with strange behavior numerous times.
NRecob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:

Chrome is still my browser of choice.

+1
Texark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Chrome. It just seems faster and less buggy than Safari. Firefox and Camino are just afterthoughts at this point. I will admit that Firefox is getting better though. At least when it comes to the memory leaks.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:

1:Close Safari
2:Open a Terminal window and type in the following...

defaults write com.apple.Safari NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows -bool false

this will solve your angst, to change it back to the default just substitute true for false
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers jb.

I'm pretty close to giving up and Lion and reverting back to Snow Leopard. I'm starting to hate the way Lion works and this is one of them. I've been using a computer for nearly 30 years and now Apple decides I'm dumb and forces me to work in a non intuitive way. Remembering which apps I have open, which website I last viewed, saving my documents for me. I've cocked up more documents since the changes than I ever did before and to top all that Lion is so slow compared to Snow Leopard, I really do not enjoy using it as much as I once did.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started feeling the same frustration as Cypher after the 10.7.2 update. There's just something about Lion that feels inconstant and forced. To me, it actually lacks the polish, speed and simplicity of Snow Leopard.
iLife's a Bitch!
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Cheers jb.

I'm pretty close to giving up and Lion and reverting back to Snow Leopard. I'm starting to hate the way Lion works and this is one of them. I've been using a computer for nearly 30 years and now Apple decides I'm dumb and forces me to work in a non intuitive way. Remembering which apps I have open, which website I last viewed, saving my documents for me. I've cocked up more documents since the changes than I ever did before and to top all that Lion is so slow compared to Snow Leopard, I really do not enjoy using it as much as I once did.

I felt this way from the get go. If I could figure out what I need to save and how to back that stuff up I would go back to SL in a heartbeat. My upgraded Raptor drive is slower on Lion than my old 5200 drive on SL. Thats insane.

I should add I like this safari update. Feels better could be just the reboot but still feeling good so its probably an improvement.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally hate the restore feature in Lion, but you can turn it off in System Preferences under General.

No issues with this update to report. Safari has been working better than ever for me with Lion.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Lion Tweaks to turn off a lot of those annoying behaviors.

http://ifredrik.com/applications/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: